Curtis B.
Curtis B., service manager
Experience:  30 years exp. with diesel engines, heavy equipment and forklifts, including lp forklifts

that wont start..ignition switch, battery relay, and both batteries

Customer Question

I have a 1988 Kobelco K 905 excavator that won't start after replacing the ignition switch, battery relay, and both batteries. The starter was checked out today and it's good. Told that water may have gotten wires wet. Can't find the problem !
Category: Heavy Equipment
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 5 years ago.

curtis b :

I can walk you through the normal starting troubleshooting if you have a voltmeter. Start at the battery, it should have at least 12.5 volts. Then go from the positive post to the frame, if the ground is good, you should read the same as the battery. If not check the negative cable at the battery and where it connects to the frame. If ground is good, follow the positive cable to the solenoid. Check all the connections and locate the small wire attactched on the same terminal as the positive battery cable. This is the power wire for the ignition. Follow it back to the key switch, it should have a fuse in it. Check the fuse and be sure you have power at the key switch. Not sure what kind of safety switches unit has to keep from starting, if any. But they need to be checked if there are any. They typicaly complete the starting ground system. If you have power to the key switch, turn key to start and see if you are getting power to the switch side of the starter solenoid(relay). If no power there, run a jumper wire from the key switch terminal to the realy and see if it will start. Let me know what you find. Thank you.