Curtis B.
Curtis B., service manager
Experience:  30 years exp. with diesel engines, heavy equipment and forklifts, including lp forklifts
30244710

I have a 1986 Bolens tractor..filters..injector pump

Customer Question

I have a 1986 Bolens tractor. It will start and run for a fews minutes and then shuts down as if getting no fuel. I have checked filters and injector pump is receiving fuel.I have bled lines and checked the injectors . Could I need a new injector pump?
Category: Heavy Equipment
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 6 years ago.

curtis b :

Check the fuel return line to see if fuel is returning, check it at the injection pump return.

curtis b :

Is this the three cylinder mitsibitsu?

Customer:

II is a 3 cyl and it does spit fuel from the return lines but it isn't very much not enuogh to call a fuel flow.

Customer:

It is a 3 cyl and it does spit fuel from the returns linesbut it isn't enough to call a fuel flow.

curtis b :

Is the injector pump in the block? Or is it a rotary pump? I can't locate breakdown of the k3a.

Customer:

I beleive its a rotary pump mounted on the right side in the housing that holds govenor with the oil pump and oil filter housing mounted just behind it.The beeak down only shows that it contains pistons that ride on lobes from the oil pump driveshaft

curtis b :

Does it have a return line fitting screwed directly into the pump? If so , remove the fitting and see if it is open. It could have a check ball in the fitting and can become stuck, if it sticks closed, the pressure will increase in the pump housing and shut down the system. Let me know. Thanks.

Customer:

return line is piped directly back to fuel tank but it does seem to be building preesuee inside the pump because i can oed the bleeder valve on the inake side and I have back pressure on the non-pressure side.

curtis b :

Yes, but does it have return line on the injection pump? If so remove the fitting and check it.

curtis b :

I didn't read the full response, can you remove return fitting at pump?

Customer:

there is no return fitting at pump

curtis b :

Full Size Image

curtis b :

Ok, return line is not going to be the problem if pump looks like this one.

curtis b :

Did I ask if it kills with throttle lever, or electric solenoid on back side of injection pump? Like this solenoid. #32

Full Size Image

curtis b :

After going back and reading the statement about running out of fuel, have you tried running a test line from the fuel transfer pump inlet back into the top of the tank to eleminate the suction part of the fuel system?

Customer:

nobut that is a good thought. I just got through removing the pistons in the pump and blowing out the pump with air and reinstalling them. I bleed all the air from the system up to the injectors and started the engine. At frist I had good return from the injectors but aften 5 mimnutes or so it was back to just spitting on the return side.

curtis b :

I would try the the test line.