tj, Mechanic
Experience:  10 years of john deere,agco,new holland,cummins

I have a John Deere 1010 RU. it has a dual hydraulic system.

Customer Question

I have a John Deere 1010 RU. it has a dual hydraulic system. When the the tractor is cold the 3 point lift works great. However the warmer it gets the slower the hydraulics work.It will get so bad that it will hardly pick up a 7' scraper blade. It sounds as if it low on fluid or as if the pump is sucking air. I pulled the fill plug when it is running and looked inside. The oil looks foamy. It doesn't have a hyd. filter,but it does have a screen and it is in good shape. I checked the pressure of the pump. When cold it gets up to 1100psi (specs are 1040 to 1080 psi), when it warms up it will get up 950 psi.I think if the oil wasn't so aerated it would work fine. I just need to figure out why it gets aerated. Any suggestions?
Category: Heavy Equipment
Expert:  tj replied 5 years ago.

HI and welcome to JA. THE first question is does this tractor have power steering?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
yes, and the power steering works great.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Relist: No answer yet.
Expert:  tj replied 5 years ago.

Hi and sorry the question closed and only you could reopen it the first thing to do is add 1-2 gallons of extra hydraulic oil and if the problem goes away then you are having a suction problem on the implement pump. Give this a try and get back to me and if it don't work then you are probably looking at a worn pump that is causing the problem

IF you need any more help just ask

IF you agree with my answer then please accept,feedback is also welcomed THANKS

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
TJ,I already tried adding additional fluid. It seemed to make the oil even more aerated and did not solve my problem. The hyd. pump is mounted under the dash panel behind the bell housing so it is lower than the hyd. system. There are no external leaks in the suction line.So I can't explain how I can have a suction problem,,,If the pump is wore out then why can it develop the proper pressure when it is cold?
Thanks for input, Rob