Clayton
Clayton, Mechanic
Experience:  5+ Years at Freightliner, Detroit & MBE Certified, ATD, and Electrical
44163566

Volvo: whit a cummins isx 400hp, the clutch is..shifting..gears

Customer Question

i have a 10 speed trans, on a volvo, whit a cummins isx 400hp, the clutch is new, but still have problems shifting, like if it doesn't have oil, gears crank all the time, some times can't take out the gear, what can be the problem?
Category: Heavy Equipment
Expert:  Clayton replied 3 years ago.

Clayton :

Hi, Welcome to Just Answer

Customer:

hi how are you!!

Clayton :

Hey

Clayton :

I am good, How are you

Customer:

ok, so you saw my cuestion?

Clayton :

Ya, I have a few ideas.

Customer:

so, what it can be?

Clayton :

Was the input shaft replaced or inspected on the transmission, and did they inspect or replace the crossshafts?

Customer:

don't even know what is that!!

Customer:

they just replace the clutch!!

Clayton :

The input shaft is on the front of the trans, the clutch slides on this, and this is what drives the gears inside the trans.

Clayton :

If the input shaft wears, the clutch can bind on the shaft and cause engagement inssues. Also, everytime I do a clutch, we inspect all of this stuff. I typically replace the pilot bearing, input shaft, and sometimes the cross shafts if needed. This stuff plays a part in clutch engagement.

Clayton :

Some techs think that just because you put a clutch in it, it does not need adjusted, they sometimes don't. But they sometimes do. I seriously hope they put the clutch brake in, or a new one

Customer:

when the clutch was replaced i when to get a second opinion, for an extra nois than i found after the clutch replacement, and they told me than that nois was because te previos mechanic forgot to greas the bearings.

Clayton :

Your transmission has a small disc called a clutch brake, when you push your clutch pedal down, the release bearing touches this clutch brake and stops the input shaft from turning when you are at a complete stop. If the clutch brake is not adjusted right,missing, or worn. This can cause clutch engagement problems too.

Clayton :

Very possible, the release bearing has a grease zerk, and has to be greased or otherwise it can prematurely wear

Customer:

so i can really say if he did all that, what i know , all the whork took about 1 hr. so probably they did't

Clayton :

Uh,if it took 1 hr, I doubt he even replaced the clutch

Clayton :

A clutch job typically pays 10-12hrs

Customer:

clutch still have warranty, still can take it back and tell the mechanic to do all this what you are telling me, but they probably are going to charge me extra for the job. what do you think?

Clayton :

You are telling me they put a clutch in it in 1hr?

Customer:

yes, and the second mechanic told me than there was a new clutch on it.

Clayton :

I cant say that is impossible, because there is a tech at my job that has done a older Freightliner in 1hr, but that was years ago.

Clayton :

before they piled on all the crap under the trucks and around the transmission

Clayton :

If the job took 1hr, I can only question the fact that a new clutch was put in. Do you have an invoice to look at?

Customer:

well this truck is really easy to work under, have a lot of space, and yes i should have the invoice some where.

Clayton :

what did they charge you if you do not mind me asking

Customer:

i it was close to $700

Clayton :

Parts and labor?

Customer:

yes

Clayton :

oh wow...that is very cheap.

Customer:

so definaly, they did't a good repair on my truck

Clayton :

The clutch has to be atleast $500, I cannot imagine a shop charging only 2hrs labor. I am not there to look at the truck, I don't know what the shop actually did.

Customer:

what do you recoment me, to take it back to same place or go to volvo, clutch have warranty!!

Clayton :

If they did do it in 1hr, I doubt they looked at the input shaft at this time.

Clayton :

If you take it back to the ot her shop, and you suggest they replace the input shaft, etc, etc. They are going to charge you alot of labor because the transmission has to come back down.

Clayton :

Welcome back

Customer:

sorry when out of power

Clayton :

Its alright.

Clayton :

If you take it to a Volvo dealer, the clutch itself will have a warranty(if it is new), but if they do not find anything wrong with the clutch, you are going to get stuck with the bill.

Customer:

but if i go to volvo will b a lot more spensive, because they not have nothing to do whit the last repair!

Clayton :

Correct, especially if a Volvo dealer did'nt do the job in the first place

Customer:

the thing the clutch was not purchased at volvo, it was from an a totaly independed manufacturer.

Clayton :

that does not matter. Do you know what brand of clutch they put in it.

Clayton :

Volvo,Eaton, or Meritor?

Customer:

am going to have go whit my book keeper becuase i think she have that invoice, i can't tell wich one is it. have to look the invoice, is there any diference in warranty? or why the brand matters?

Clayton :

NO. They are all good clutches.

Clayton :

Your truck has hydraulic clutch?

Customer:

but oyu are telling me than that is the only brands on exintence? yes in does have an hydraulic clutch.

Clayton :

That are the major brands that I am familier with.

Clayton :

Since your truck has a hydraulic clutch, that is another factor that can contribute to clutch engagement problems

Clayton :

or disengagment I should say

Customer:

whatb is it?

Clayton :

Think of your clutch as brakes on your car. If you are having a hydraulic problem in your brake system, you brakes do not operate properly, or may not stop you. Same with a hydraulic clutch system

Customer:

yes an other mechanic check for a leak on the line or air into this line and it was ok.

Clayton :

Ok, if that is confirmed as good, then you can take that out of the loop

Customer:

most of mechanick don't know what is tha line for!! the onlyone who told me i ask him to check it, and what can hapend if i keep driving it like that?

Clayton :

My recommendation to you, take it back to the original place you had the work done and tell them you are still have problems. Don't let it leave till it is fixed, If the clutch is new, and it is faulty, you should not be out anything for the bill.

Clayton :

If you are taking it to a mechanic that does not know what that line is for...take it to another mechanic

Customer:

ok, then will follow your recomendation, what can hapend if i keep driving it like that?

Clayton :

If you keep driving like that, it is going to get worse instead of better and eventually start wearing the gears inside of the trans prematurely

Clayton :

Look at your invoice. They should have a itemized parts list. If I do a clutch, I always sell the customer a Clutch brake, Pilot bearing, and a clutch.

Customer:

ok, one more cuestion, a/c stop working properly, blow heat, but non cold, some times not blow nither cold or heat. it does't heve leake.

Clayton :

I always inspect the input shaft, and the crosshafts for wear. Most every time, the truck needs an input shaft. But we recommend it, and if the customer does not want it, we won't put it in

Clayton :

I am not a volvo tech, but I will try to give you an idea. I work on freightliners 90 percent of the time.

Clayton :

Do you feel air coming out of the dash at all when the heat and the a/c quit?

Customer:

nop!!

Clayton :

Might simply be a fuse, blower motor, A/C controller, or wiring.

Clayton :

well, it won't be a fuse because it would just quit and not work again..

Clayton :

The most likely cause blower motor, wiring, or the a/c controller.

Clayton :

If it just flat out quits working..find the blower motor, and tap on it with a screw driver or something. This might jar it enough to make the blower motor work again temporarily

Customer:

ok, i then i will do that,

Clayton :

Like I said, these are just ideas...I do not specialize in the volvo electrical system

Customer:

thanks for your help anyway, it may work!!

Clayton :

Good luck, I hope you can figure out your clutch problem and get that taken care of. One thing that is good on this site, you get 3rd party advice and in the future, can prevent you from get ripped off

Customer:

then i will put hands to work, i will keep this page, so if i need your help againg!! thank you so much!!

Clayton :

No problem. My name is Clayton. You know how to reach me

Customer:

ok, my name is XXXXX XXXXX to metting you and thanks againg!!

Clayton :

No problem Javier. Thank you for using just answer

Customer:

ok, bye bye!!

Clayton :

If I have helped you, please accept my answer so I get credit. Thank you

Customer:

you got it!!

Clayton :

Thank you Javier.

Clayton, Mechanic
Experience: 5+ Years at Freightliner, Detroit & MBE Certified, ATD, and Electrical