tj, Mechanic
Experience:  10 years of john deere,agco,new holland,cummins

Rebuilt..Tractor runs rough now and blows black smoke..exhaust..timing

Customer Question

<p>Have John Deere 2440 tractor and just had fuel injector pump rebuilt. Tractor runs rough now and blows black smoke out of exhaust when you first give it gas. Not sure if it is a fule injector pump timing issue and if so how do I adjust timing?</p><p>When we crack the fuel injector lines one at a time to bleed air out of the fuel lines, two of the injectors either kill the engine or almost kill the engine.  The other two make it run rough but does not kill the engine.</p>
Category: Heavy Equipment
Expert:  tj replied 6 years ago.

Hi and welcome to JA. It don't sound like a timing issue. what usually happens is that when a fuel system wears it will lower the injection pressure. so if you rebuild one item it will cause problems with the other this shows up more with low sulfur fuel. before you do any thing i would pull the injectors out and have them tested what is happened is that the opening pressure is too low and not spraying the fuel it is more or less running out of the injectors. The reason that it will die with the two lines loose is that those two are more than likely the worst of the 4

IF you need any more help just ask

If you agree with my answer then please accept,feedback is also welcomed THANKS

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Sorry, I didn't accept answer because the response time was a little too late. I finally went to a diesel mechanic shop to ask questions and he told me the same thing that morning. Just now getting back to you because I had forgotten I had put in the question. Answer was correct. I had to purchase new injectors to fix problem.

Expert:  tj replied 6 years ago.

That is great that it is now fixed. I am glad that i could help just not soon enough