Curtis B.
Curtis B., service manager
Experience:  30 years exp. with diesel engines, heavy equipment and forklifts, including lp forklifts
30244710

266 bantam excavator when controls are worked enging dies rite..pumps

266 bantam excavator when controls are worked enging dies rite down and will die. new filters and pumps were done not to long ago. engine reves up good,
Category: Heavy Equipment
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 4 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
curtis b :

Try replacing the engine fuel filters, it takes small amount of fuel to run engine under no load condition. It takes lots of fuel to run under power. Be sure the engine is actually putting out the horsepower before messing with the hydraulics. Let me know.

Customer:

i will change fuel filters. i know when pumps were done 1 pump was pretty much destroyed so i was thinking sumthin with hydraulics.

curtis b :

If fuel filters don't help, locate the main pressure relief valve and check it for debris. It could be stuck and not releving the pressure, causing gross overload on the engine, but the engine should show signs of heavy black smoke before dieing out.

Customer:

engine dosent show any real major smoke.seems normal amount of smoke.

Curtis B., service manager
Experience: 30 years exp. with diesel engines, heavy equipment and forklifts, including lp forklifts
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
hi.i did change fuel filters and there was no difference.this machine has 3 pumps and 3 control valves. dosent seem to smoke much when its when engine is dieing down.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 3 years ago.
Try a test hose from the fuel transfer pump inlet, back into the fuel tank and see if it runs any better . This will eliminate all the filter , hose, and fittings back to the fuel tank. I should have asked, is this the perkins engine or the detroit?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
471 detroit ok i will try a different line.thanks
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 3 years ago.
Worked for the Detroit distributor for many years, know the 4-71 from bottom up.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
so it sounbds like a fuel proplem?
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 3 years ago.
To me it does, but the test will tell the tale.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
thanks for the help.i forgot to ask you befor.is there a filter in the pump.it has 2 remote filters.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 3 years ago.
No, the unit should have a primary filter , the pump, and then the secondary filter, which then the fuel enters the cylinder head. They can be mounted anywhere, but that is the general layout. The transfer pump is driven off the blower and has no filter in it.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
ok i will try this.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 3 years ago.
Good night, I look forward to hearing from you.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi. so i replaced fuel lines and mite of bin abit better.i had it reved up and was walking machine,when i start walking engine draws down and stays there if i stop it reves back up.

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 3 years ago.
Did you run the test line from pump back into the tank? Can you take pressure reading on the secondary filter,The filter housing should have 1/4 or 3/8 in pipe thread plug you can remove and install test gage. the fuel transfer pump should give 60 psi at full throttle. If quite a bit less, the transfer pump can be bad, not supplying enough fuel for the horsepower.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
yes i had a hose from pump to inside of tank.i will try a gage and see what happens.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 3 years ago.
Let me know how it works out. Have a good day. Thank you!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hi, i did the gage test and at full rpm it was at 60 psi. um when its cold it smokes on start up but dosent seem to under load. i would expect it to billow black smoke.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 3 years ago.
Has anything been done as for as checking the injector rack to be sure you are getting full travel on the injectors? With rocker cover off and engine dead, hold throttle wide open and push on rack, it should be bottomed out and have no slack in the rack. Be sure they engine stop is going all the way back and allowing the governor to push rack wide open. If engine stop doesn't get out of the governor rods way, you can't get full throttle.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

i have not checked that . is that something that can happen by itself ?

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 3 years ago.
The engine stop could come loose or be sticking so the lever is not allowing the governor to open completely. Common on Detroit's with power complaints.Also the throttle linkage should also be checked to be sure it goes full travel, engine will only put out max horsepower if throttle is going full stroke.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
ok, it has one push pull cable that shuts it down as well as revs it up.when cable is pushed in it kills engine. i did check lingage and and cable and thats working properly.i will check linkage under rocker cover.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 3 years ago.
For quick test, you can remove the buffer screw, the screw on the outside of the governor housing toward the top, will have lock nut holding it. The screw keeps engine from surging. note the nut distance from end on screw so it can be reinstalled. If installed to deep engine will not idle down. Anyway, with screw removed, and engine under load, you can take screw driver and reach in and push against the governor lever , which will push injectors to the maximum position. If rpm picks up, you know governor adjustment is problem or the throttle is not going full travel.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
ok i will try that. thanks alot.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 3 years ago.
Let me know.
Curtis B., service manager