catmastertech
catmastertech, Technician
Experience:  19 years Cat, 3 years Case
11546476

I have a 416 CAT Tractor with perkins engine, I had to change

I have a 416 CAT Tractor with perkins engine, I had to change the fuel injection put, would like to know how do you time the engine.
Category: Heavy Equipment
Expert:  catmastertech replied 3 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
Donnie :

What fuel brand system is on this engine?

Donnie :

What is the serial number of the machine?

Donnie :

Is it a Delpi pump and Standyne pump?

Donnie :

Or Standyne, sorry for the typo.

Customer :

Fuel brand system - Diesel

Donnie :

Sorry, another typo, the brand of the fuel pump.

Donnie :

I may find the exact type of fuel pump with the serial number but, sometimes it doesn't show up.

Customer :

Looking at the fuel pump, it has BOS on one side and perkins on other.

Customer :

Number on pump is XXXXXXXXXX R997 2644N208

Donnie :

Is this the injection pump? Or is it the lift "transfer" pump?

Customer :

011 is also on the pump; 491 is to the right of 011; then to the right of that 438462; also under the bottom of 011 is 24218; this is all the information that we can find on the pump.

Donnie :

I realy need the machine serial number to find your information.

Customer :

We believe the brand of the fuel pump is BOS

Donnie :

Yes, some also had a Bosch brand pump.

Customer :

There is nothing showing to say if it's a Delpi or Standyne.

Customer :

Okay, just found something else on the pump; it's a BOSCH

Customer :

What machine number do you need? Are you saying you need the tractor machine number?

Donnie :

Yes, the PIN- Product Identification Number or even the engine serial number will work.

Customer :

Model is 416D

Customer :

Serial is CRS19194; there is another serial number AN514377

Donnie :

416D's have four different fuel system setups. That is why I am asking for a serial number. Each uses different tool and procedures.

Customer :

Product No. CAT0416DJBFP15219

Donnie :

BFP15219 is the number I need. Give me a few minutes to find the procedure.

Donnie :

Here is the install procedure. You will need the tools marked for the Bosch system. Click here for Installation

Customer :

Donnie, we are looking on how to time the engine; the pump has already been timed.

Customer :

Okay, Buddy, do you know the information on timing the engine?

Donnie :

Full Size Image
Finding Top Center Position for No. 1 Piston

SMCS - 1105-531

Table 1
Required Tools
Part Number Part Description Qty
230-6283 Crankshaft Timing Pin 1
230-6284 Camshaft Timing Pin 1

Illustration 1g01141681

(1) Hole for camshaft pin

(2) Hole for crankshaft pin

1. Remove the valve mechanism cover, the glow plugs, and the cover for the front housing.

Note: The crankshaft timing pin can be inserted with the crankshaft pulley still on the engine.

1. Rotate the crankshaft in the normal direction of the engine until the inlet valve of the No. 4 cylinder has just opened and the exhaust valve of the No. 4 cylinder has not completely closed.

1. Carefully rotate the crankshaft in the normal direction of the engine in order to align the hole in the crankshaft with the hole in the cylinder block and the timing case. Insert the 230-6283 Crankshaft Timing Pin fully into the hole in the crankshaft web.

1. Insert the 230-6284 Camshaft Timing Pin through the hole in the camshaft gear and into the body of the timing case. The engine is set at the top center position for No. 1 piston.

Note: The camshaft gear can rotate a small amount when the pin is installed.

1. Remove the timing pins from the camshaft gear and the crankshaft web.

Donnie :

I think this is what you will need.

Customer :

Donnie,

Customer :

Donnie, thanks, XXXXX XXXXX what I basically need; thanks a lot for your help.

Customer :

signing off.

catmastertech, Technician
Experience: 19 years Cat, 3 years Case