DR.Cummins
DR.Cummins, FIELD SERVICE TECHNICIAN
Experience:  16 Years working on Cummins Diesel engines,
28984014

dash diagnostics indicate ecu 128, pid 111, Fail 03...coolant level

I have a CEL. The dash diagnostics indicate ECU 128, PID 111, Fail 03. I have determined that to be a coolant level code indicating high voltage. I am looking for perhaps help with or diagnostic troubleshoot info.
Hello once you have verified that the coolant level is full. I would suspect that the sensor is bad,
1113AmberCoolant Level Sensor 1 Circuit - Voltage above normal, or shorted to high source
Reason
Coolant Level Sensor 1 Circuit - Voltage Above Normal or Shorted to High Source. High signal voltage detected at engine coolant level circuit.
Effect
Automotive: None on performance. Marine: None, no engine protection for circuit or sensor failure.
Component Location
The engine coolant level sensor is typically located in the radiator top tank or surge tank, for marine engines, it is located in the expansion tank. Refer to the OEM troubleshooting and repair manual for location.
Circuit Description
The engine coolant level sensor monitors the engine coolant level within the coolant system and passes information to the electronic control module (ECM) through the OEM harness.

Edited by DR.Cummins on 9/14/2010 at 11:30 PM EST

here are the tests

Check the sensor resistance.

• Measure the resistance between the engine coolant level SIGNAL pin and the engine coolant level RETURN pin at the engine coolant level sensor connector.

Greater than 800k ohms? if so Replace the engine coolant level sensor.