Clayton
Clayton, Mechanic
Experience:  5+ Years at Freightliner, Detroit & MBE Certified, ATD, and Electrical
44163566

A wiper motor on a freightliner FL-70,wipers wont park.I..voltage

Customer Question

Good mornin',problem is w/a wiper motor on a freightliner FL-70,wipers wont park.I don't have schematics. System voltage is 14.2,wipers do work,Hi,LO and Delay seem to all work normally as does the washer function.problem is when turned off they park at the top of the windsheild,and it doesn't matter where i hit the switch to turn off,normally I've seen when thats the concern they usually shut down when you turn switch off,but these still cycle to the top before they stop.almost seems like park timing is out??? I didn't look at any wiring yet due to the motors location(if your a freightliner tech you"ll know)
Category: Heavy Equipment
Expert:  Clayton replied 6 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
Clayton :

Hello, Welcome to JA. I can help you

Clayton :

Hello, I am glad you can join us, I was just about to step out of chat

Clayton :

I a few ideas on your problem

Clayton :

I have a few ideas on your problem

Customer :

cool what do you think

Clayton :

By any chance, where the wiper arms off at any point?

Customer :

not to my knowledge but i'd feel pretty dum if thats the cause

Clayton :

You could have wear in the linkage

Customer :

i'll check sometimes there is a notch on the shaft that only allows one way install but not always let me check it out

Clayton :

I would take the arms off, turn on the wipers, then turn them off with the switch so they come to there natural position. Then reinstall the arms.

Customer :

not sure about linkage wear just seems to be parkin'180 degree's from its norm

Clayton :

They are splined, so it is possible the linkage could be off 180 degrees.

Customer :

i'm gonna go try that now i thought we might be lookin at an electrical prob.

Clayton :

If this is not the case, then the wiper motor is at fault, the delay is built into the wiper motor

Clayton :

I started to think about this. if the arm is at fault, then the arm will be way off of the windshield.

Clayton :

I don't think it is mechanical now that I rethink this

Customer :

thats what i think and figured i could skip diag time if you said motor or park circuit n/g I dont think these drivers would've messed w/ arms butyou never know their not here now to ask i'll get back to ya

Clayton :

The delay box is mounted on the wiper motor, I dont think it can be bought seperate

Clayton :

I agree, I do not think the drivers would mess with the arms either. I think if the arms were the problem, then they would be wiping past the windshield

Customer :

yeah wipers got sucked now into cowl area,now just wanna verify that motor is a fault

Clayton :

I am back, I had to take my daughter to day care

Clayton :

I have a wiring diagram for you.

Clayton :

Click here

Clayton :

I looked at the schematic and it has what appears to be a commutator switch on it, I am wondering if this could be the problem. I am 99 percent sure this is built into the wiper motor