Rudolph Diesel
Rudolph Diesel, ASE ,Master Heavy Truck Technichian
Experience:  25 YEARS OF HEAVY EQUIPMENT REPAIRS
3087803

Century: freightliner..the turbo, change egr, and change vpod..rpm

Customer Question

I have a freightliner century 2006 detroit 515, i already change the turbo, change egr, and change vpod,,,however the truck still chocking and losing power at 12 to 13 rpm's, i went for about 4 freightliner dealers shopp and nobody gave me a result,,,and this was my very first trip with this truck i bot in 07/22/10,,,no guarantees ,,,i already spend 4100 dolars,,,,what should i do????
Category: Heavy Equipment
Expert:  Rudolph Diesel replied 6 years ago.

I would look at the TPS/AP

Throttle position sensor

Your having a chocking and losing power at 12 to 13 rpm's, and it sounds like a consistent problem at those rpms.

The TPS/AP is located on the throttle pedal

there is 3 screws that attach's this to the pedal and one wire connection.

Many times times this will give a problem as you are describing not showing a code or showing any other problem

here is general information

General Throttle Information (Automotive Limiting Speed Governor)

The correct TPS/AP Sensor counts for DDEC engines at idle should be 64 - 205 counts.?

• Typical DDEC V foot pedals today, at idle, provide 90-175 counts.
  • The DDEC system will log a TPS/AP Sensor low volt if the TPS/AP Sensor counts go below 48.
  • The DDEC system will log a TPS/AP Sensor high volt if the TPS/AP Sensor counts go above 968 counts.
  • In order to go from 0% to 100% throttle, the counts have to increase 546 above the idle count, or 100 counts, whichever is greater.
  • If an idle validation switch (IVS) is configured, to go from 0% to 100% throttle, the counts have to increase 546 above the counts at which the IVS opens or 100 counts, whichever is greater.
  • If 0% throttle is attained with the foot off the pedal, and if 100% throttle is attained with the pedal to the floor, then the pedal should not be considered a factor for low power complaints.

If you disconnect the wire harness and use a OHM meter you can see if the voltage is sooth from 0 to 100 if at any point while pushing on the pedal and the voltage is not sooth and has a low or flat spot then you know this is the problem.

Let me know if i can help more!

RD

Standard Motor Products Throttle Position Sensor