FIX-IT
FIX-IT, Technician
Experience:  ENGINES-ELECTRICAL

Probe: freightliner..they updated ecm, day 2+3 the prob..pedal..boost

Customer Question

I had a step 3 inframe repair at a freightliner shop performed 3 weeks ago, day 1 I had probs with excelleration, took it back they updated ecm, day 2+3 the prob is not resolved, i took it back today and dropped it off, I push the fuel pedal and the engine just kind of hesitates and produces stinky white/gray smoke then it finally builds boost and operates normally, this has happened many times over and they telling me if there is no code then they cant fix it. Well there is no code but something is wrong with this engine. Any solutions here? They say it is not the turbo actuator/waste gate. I say it is something electronic related to the actuator. I don't think its an injector but it just may be, I can at times smell stinky smoke when driving and at times it doesnt pull as it should.
Category: Heavy Equipment
Expert:  FIX-IT replied 3 years ago.

Hi there.i can help you with this..

well it sure sounds like turbo.

there are checks you can do

i can give you the list but there isn't much you can do with out the ddc software.but ill let you look at it and if you have any questions let me know

click here

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Well sir this info sounds correct to a point but what about the stinky white/gray smoke that is being produced at initial fuel application? The truck just kind of dies for 1-3 seconds then decides to move and all this light colored smoke that stinks comes out the exaust. Is this an indication that the new turbo is not performing or is it the actutor not working. The shop mgr says the actuator either works or doesn't work, there is no in betweens with it. He is stating that it appears to be an eletronic failure in the program. He upgraded my ecm to todays software and it helped the problem I thought but in reality it did nothing to correct the problem. So do you see this being electronic or mechanical failure? It's been frustrating and I have had all kinds of resolutions pushed my way and so far none have been helpful. If you can resolve this issue I will gladly pay you the fee with a generous tip.
Expert:  FIX-IT replied 3 years ago.

we have to start somewhere and the turbo's or v pod's can fail

the v pod is what controls the turbo actuator

but without that software its hard to test

have you done the basics as well ?

air cleaner fuel filter?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The air filter was changed prior to the inframe rebuild. I will present your solutions to the shop mgr tomorrow. We shall see what they say about this and I am not doubting you at all. I am more doubting them on there techniques and findings. I don't know if I can get you a software report but I will certainly try. Like I said before if this info is the answer I will hook you up on a generous fee. But I have had too many ppl giving me useless advice. Thanks bro! I'll be in touch later tomorrow.

Expert:  FIX-IT replied 3 years ago.
ok if you get the software and get me the code report we will be that more further ahead...peace.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I was unable to get the software data, they did replace a sensor and I picked the truck up today, I have not driven it under a load yet, I am truly not real convinced that it is fixed by replacing the sensor. The sensor controls egr exaust flow is what they told me. I dont have the name of the sensor available to tell u the name of it. Will be in touch after I go on a trip and test it.