Wayne, Journeyman
Experience:  34 years experiance as engine rebuild and problems.Thermo-King repair and trouble shooting.
6825259

99 GMC 6500, starter problems

99 GMC 6500, starter problems
Category: Heavy Equipment
Expert:  Wayne replied 4 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
wayne :

Hi I'm Wayne, I will help you with this,

wayne :

what kind of problems you having ??

wayne :

let me know

Customer:

replaced bad starter with a reman delco unit.

Customer:

would not turn over, foond bad fuze and relay, replaced both, then it started

Customer:

went back a few minutes later, would not start

Customer:

checked fuze, good

Customer:

relay, not sure but think it's good(new)

wayne :

HI sorry for delay ,phone call grand son

Customer:

I understand

wayne :

OK, so it is not cranking

Customer:

nothing, starter will not engage at all

wayne :

what we need to do, is check voltage at starter when when you turn key

wayne :

check voltage at small wire 1st, make sure you have 12 + volts

Customer:

good voltage(new batteries) and clean cables

Customer:

ok

Customer:

can't check now, but will in am

wayne :

if you do, then check voltage at heavy battery wire on starter this may go just below 12 volts

Customer:

if voltage is good, what next

wayne :

if voltage drops well below 11.3 volts on hot wire you have bad rebuild starter

Customer:

ok

Customer:

it started twice, but after that nothing

wayne :

if voltage is good, and maintained shy of 12 volts , you have a ground problem

wayne :

even if it started couple times , it may stop at a flat spot on armature

Customer:

ok, where should i look? I cleaned the battery ground connection on the frame , made sure the grounds on the starter were clean

wayne :

1 ground most over looked is from frame to engine, usually braid flat strap

Customer:

the old starter had a ground wire from the solenoid(white wire) to the starter ground stud

wayne :

that's correct

Customer:

the new one does not have a small stud on the solenoid to commect it to

wayne :

you should still have this

Customer:

could i connect it to the small bolts that hold the solenoid cover on

wayne :

yes do that

Customer:

ok, i'll try that in the morning

wayne :

you need a ground from solenoid to starter housing

Customer:

what about connecting the wire to the stud at the bottom that connects the bonding strap to the starter motor?

wayne :

not sure I understand what you are asking ??

Customer:

at the bottom of the solenoid is a small bolt that appears to connect to a bonding strap on the starter motor

wayne :

OH, sorry, yes just run a ground from there

Customer:

ok

wayne :

if this helped you, please hit Accept, if not get back to me

Customer:

i thought these starting systems were easier than this, never had this much of a problem with one before

Customer:

i'll have to try this i the mornng, if it still doesn't start, i will be back on around noon

wayne :

they are normally , easy , but some times get complicated

Customer:

thanks for now

Wayne, Journeyman
Experience: 34 years experiance as engine rebuild and problems.Thermo-King repair and trouble shooting.