Allisonforeman, Transmission foreman
Experience:  Factory trained by Allison Transmission on all on Hwy products including the Hybrid Electric drive,

recurring diagnostic code 22-16 on my allison transmission..resets..rv

Customer Question

Good morning;

I have a recurring diagnostic code 22-16 on my allison transmission. It resets after I go through the clearing procedure and I am then able to shift. I am able to start the RV several times without getting the "Do Not Shift" Lock-out, but eventually the error recurs. I understand this is a code for the output speed sensor. Can anyone tell me what, if anything I should do? Is it something that can easily replaced?
Category: Heavy Equipment
Expert:  FIX-IT replied 6 years ago.

Hi there.i can help you with this..i'd like to know the model of your transmission so i can confirm the code.if you feel its for the output speed sensor then check the sensor for resistance and let me know what you get.. the sensor is closest to your output yoke at the tail shaft of your transmission..

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX try that. But, first, I need to know what the speed sensor l looks like. Is it something I can buy off-the shelf and replace myself? Or is it something I have to take to Allison to repair?

I'll get back to you to confirm, but I believe it is model M3080 6 speed connected to a Cummins 8.3.

Expert:  FIX-IT replied 6 years ago.

its the closest sensor to the output yoke

easy to spot

ill be away till can choose to go with another

or ill talk to you sundry//thanks

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

I went to the RV this AM and crawled underneath with my ohmeter and to look at the Transmission.

It is a M3060. There is a sensor at the end of the transmission opposite from and farthest away from the engine. There is also a sensor of some sort on the lower left side (facing toward the front of the RV). I assume the the output speed sensor is the one farthest from the engine. I tried to check the unit but there were no exposed wires and I didn't want to dismantle anything until I know what I'm dealing with.

It looks like a simple seal and locknut arrangement that should be easy enough to dismantle and replace. But, I don't want to dismantle until I have some idea of where/how to get a new unit.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Relist: I still need help.
I really need to know if this is something that requires immediate attention. If so; where can I find a replacement output speed sensor, or is this something I need to take to Allison for repair
Expert:  Allisonforeman replied 6 years ago.
Hello and thanks for using Just Answer,my name is XXXXX XXXXX I would like to help you with your question. The output speed sensor is the sensor you reference farthest away from the engine,located on the rear transmission cover by the drive shaft,to replace it you simply disconnect the the connector and remove the 1/2 bolt,it can then be pulled from the transmission. Be sure to check for any backed up pins in the connector. Replacing the sensor can be performed by anyone with basic mechanical skills. Purchase the sensor from an Allison dealer, be sure to bring your serial number from the Allison tag so the dealer will provide the correct part.
I hope this information helps,let me know if you have any further questions