Buddy
Buddy, Technician
Experience:  20 years experience. Freightliner tech for last 14 years

Detroit..camshaft..the timing be out a notch or two..without taking

Customer Question

I have a 1998 Peterbilt with a 12.7 series 60 Detroit engine. I had to replace the camshaft and after replacement the truck has no power. Could the timing be out a notch or two and is it possible to check without taking the whole front cover off the engine???    MO
Category: Heavy Equipment
Expert:  Buddy replied 4 years ago.

Hi and welcome to JA. I am Buddy,and i will try and help you out.

It is possible to turn the cam gear on some 60 series and get it a tooth or more out of time. If the thrust plate stayed in the front cover while the cam was replaced and did not fall down any, it would still be in time. If it fell , it is possible to get it out of time. You can check the timing without taking the front cover off. All you need is a dial indicator with a stationary base. What is your engine serial number and i will give you the procedure for checking and the specs.

Thanks
Buddy

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
It is a Model # XXXXX with a serial # XXXXX The mechanic does not think the thrust plate fell and he thinks the timing is where it is supposed to be. I really just wanted to check to see if I had a timing issue. MO
Expert:  Buddy replied 4 years ago.

Thanks for the reply.

I am attaching the procedure on checking cam timing for you from the manual. If you need me to explain anything or need more information just ask.

Thanks

Buddy

The timing should be between 5.36 mm (0.211 in.) and 6.76 mm (0.266 in.)

Here is the procedure for checking

• Remove the valve cover.
  • Select any cylinder for the timing check.
  • Remove the rocker arm assembly for the cylinder selected.
  • Remove the injector for that cylinder. Carefully slide a rod, approximately 304.8 mm (12 in.) long, through the injector tube hole until the end of the rod rests on top of the piston. I use a 350 chevy push rod for this.
  • Using the 3/4 in. square drive hole in the center of the crankshaft pulley and a 3/4 in. drive breaker bar, turn the crankshaft slowly in the direction of engine rotation. Stop when the rod reaches the end of its upward travel.
  • Note: The cylinder selected must be on the compression stroke when performing this check.

• Remove the rod and turn the crankshaft, opposite the direction of rotation, between 1/16 and 1/8 of a turn.
  • Select a dial indicator with 0.0254 mm (0.001 in.) graduations and a spindle movement of at least 25.4 mm (1 in.). Provide an extension for the indicator spindle. The extension must be long enough to contact the piston just before it reaches the end of its upward stroke.
  • Install a magnetic dial indicator base in a suitable place on the cylinder head and position the dial indicator over the injector hole tube.
  • Attach a suitable pointer to the gear case cover. The outer end of the pointer should extend over the vibration damper.
  • Turn the crankshaft slowly in the direction of engine rotation until the indicator hand just stops moving. Continue turning the crankshaft until the indicator hand starts to move again.
  • Reset the dial to zero.
  • Turn the crankshaft until the indicator reading is 0.254 mm (0.010 in.).
  • Scribe a line on the vibration damper in line with the end of the pointer.
  • Slowly turn the crankshaft opposite the direction of engine rotation until the indicator hand just stops moving. Continue turning the crankshaft until the indicator hand starts to move again.
  • Reset the dial to zero. Then turn the crankshaft in the same direction until the indicator reading is 0.254 mm (0.010 in.).
  • Scribe a second line on the vibration damper in line with the end of the pointer.
  • Scribe a third line half way between the first two lines. This is top dead center for the cylinder selected when the pointer is lined up with it.
  • Remove the dial indicator and base from the engine.
  • Turn the crankshaft opposite the direction of engine rotation while watching the injector rocker arm cam follower for the cylinder selected. Turn the crankshaft until the cam follower is on the base circle of the injector lobe of the cam.
  • Install a magnetic dial indicator base on the cylinder head. Install a dial indicator so that the spindle rests directly on the injector cam follower roller for the cylinder selected.

Note: The spindle should be on the center line of the injector cam follower roller pin in order to get an accurate measurement of cam lift.

• Turn the crankshaft slowly, in the direction of engine rotation, until the center mark on the vibration damper lines up with the pointer.
  • Check the dial indicator reading and compare the reading with the values to determine the correct indicator reading. (0.211 in.) and 6.76 mm (0.266 in.) it should be between those specs. If it is not, it is out of time.
  • Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Are there inspection plates you can remove on the front of the engine to check for the timing marks? If any are off it will only be the cam gear. Can you check just the cam gear? It was the only one that was removed, the rest should be in place. What else could cause the horsepower issue?

Expert:  Buddy replied 4 years ago.

Thanks for the reply. There are no inspection plates to remove to check. Only visual way to check timing is to remove the front cover. When you are checking cam timing, it is checking the cam timing compared to the rest of the timing. Almost everyone i seen that was out of time, when you had a reader or laptop hooked to truck and done a cylinder cutout test, the pw #'s will be alot higher then normal. At idle they run from around 3.5 to 4.0. The ones i have seen that was out of time would run around 5 or 6 on the pw numbers. If cam plate never fell, i would think you would still be good on timing. I would next verify correct camshaft and that the overhead was set correctly. I hope this helps you out. If you have anymore questions, just ask.

Thanks

Buddy

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
    The cam that is in the truck is stamped 17 E7 EWXT. I used The J42665 80.3 mm tool for the injectors. The intake at .008 and the exhaust at .026 in. Was this the correct settings?
    Expert:  Buddy replied 4 years ago.

That is correct on the injector setting and the valve settings. The cam should have a part number that start off with 2351 or something very similiar.

Thanks

Buddy

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
    The cam is 2352 1680.
    Expert:  Buddy replied 4 years ago.

Here is the part number i came up with. R23521681. I am not a parts guy, so i cant cross that number you gave me. If you call your local freightliner or detroit deisel dealer, they can verify part number for you.

Thanks

Buddy

Buddy, Technician
    Experience: 20 years experience. Freightliner tech for last 14 years
    Customer: replied 4 years ago.
    Mine is 2352 1680
    Customer: replied 4 years ago.
    Mine is 2352 1680 I am told that the 1680 is the casting # XXXXX the 1681
    Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I quess I have a timing issue since everything else checks out. Thanks MO

Expert:  Buddy replied 4 years ago.

Thanks for the accept. It does not take long at all to check timing. If that was good, i would rerun the overhead just to make sure they are all in specs.

Thanks
    Buddy