Curtis B.
Curtis B., service manager
Experience:  30 years exp. with diesel engines, heavy equipment and forklifts, including lp forklifts

Nissan: fork lift that wont start..getting spark

I have an old nissan propan powered fork lift that won't start. I check and it is getting spark. what could the problem be. It is not my fork lift, and I don't know if there is a trick to starting these things. It's my neighbors and they have never seen it start. it turns over fine. could it be the gas valve?
Is the Tank full and open? You might have a leak in the line that let the gas escape i would double check the tank,valve and lines to the engine. There is no trick, it must be in neutral and it is if your cranking.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I think the tank has quite a bit in it.
ok than the service valve could be your issue either not making a tight connection with the tank. have you inspected the service valve There should be a black seal in the valve.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
i just tried another tank and it still wouldn't start
So we don't know the last time the lift started correct?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
the girl who owns it said it ran about a month ago
Two things to check, first at the lp regulator, in the center should be a spring loaded valve, does this valve have any resistance when you push on the spring? If you have no resistance, you are not getting fuel. If you have resistance, you have fuel to the regulator. You can push this valve and it will deliver more fuel to the throttle , much like choking a regular engine. If you had no resistance, go back and look at the lp hose and connection on the forklift, with it removed from the tank, look at the stem that goes in the bottle, It should have NO oring or seal of any kind. all the seals are in the bottle. If fuel checks out, replace the four spark plugs. Lp plugs won't look bad, but many times that will be all that is wrong with a unit that won't start. Let me know. Thanks.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I think it's the regulator. gas is getting to the regulator, but not coming out. I think it's a regulator anyway. the thing that the tank line goes to. Maybe it's called a mixer?
Depending on the system, it could have two round looking apparatus, the first one being a vaporizer, which has to have coolant running thru it to keep it from freezing up. the second one would be the regulator, which reduces the gas from lbs, to ounces. If you could get some numbers off the units, I could tell more about what you have. For the gas to come out of the regulator, look for a vacuum line from the throttle body area to the regulator, it has to open the regulator so the throttle body will get fuel.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
It would be the vaporizer. I cracked the compression nut coming in and had gas. Then I cracked the nut coming out and turned the key, but no gas. does this sound like a bad vaporizer?
Does it have an electric shutoff solenoid on it? If it does, be sure it is working before you replace a good vaporizer. You should have gas coming out when the key is on.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I didn't see any wires on the vaporizer. the setup is like the one you described with the vaporizer, then the regulator, then the throttle body. Do they usually have an electric solenoid on them?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
when we cracked the nut on the outlet side of the vaporizer, we had no gas. Unless we didn't crack it enough. I will crack it more on monday to confirm.
Yes, they usually have an electric valve so when unit is turned off , the fuel can not flow.
Curtis B., service manager
Experience: 30 years exp. with diesel engines, heavy equipment and forklifts, including lp forklifts
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Ok. I will check that on monday and see what I find. thanks for all your help and probably be expecting to hear from me on monday. Have a great weekend.
I will be checking back. Thank you!!