catmastertech
catmastertech, Technician
Experience:  19 years Cat, 3 years Case

cat 247b wont move the park light flashes, bucket will move,

cat 247b won't move the park light flashes, bucket will move, checked all wiring for shorts found nothing, fuses all good and seat switch, door switch, bar switch seem to be working I don't know if I'm missing a swicth to check or it could be the relay, hope some one can help to poor to call Cat service
Category: Heavy Equipment
Expert:  catmastertech replied 4 years ago.

Here are the steps to check your machine when the brake light is flashing.

Perform these test and this should help you find the problem.

Please send me your serial number if you have any questions.

Parking Brake Indicator Is Flashing

Test Step 1. CHECK FOR A FLASHING PARKING BRAKE INDICATOR BEFORE THE SYSTEM IS ENABLED

Occupy the seat.

Place the armrest in the DOWN position.

Turn the key start switch to the ON position.
Expected Result:

The parking brake indicator should be on.

Results:

OK - The parking brake indicator is on. Proceed to Test Step 4.

NOT OK - The parking brake indicator is flashing. Proceed to Test Step 2.

NOT OK - The parking brake indicator is off.
Repair: The parking brake indicator is not working properly. See Testing and Adjusting, "Parking Brake Indicator and Armrest Indicator Do Not Function Correctly".

Stop.

Test Step 2. CHECK THE CIRCUIT FOR THE PARKING BRAKE SWITCH FOR A SHORT TO GROUND

Turn the key start switch to the OFF position.

Raise the cab. See Operation and Maintenance Manual, "Cab Tilting".

Locate the interlock ECM. The interlock ECM is located on the left side of the machine beneath the access cover on the floor of the machine.

Disconnect the wire harness from the ECM.

Measure the resistance from contact 42 to contact 3 (wire F780-PK to wire 201-BK) on the wire harness connector.
Expected Result:

The resistance should be greater than 3000 Ohms.

Results:

OK - The resistance is greater than 3000 Ohms.
Repair: The ECM is very unlikely to have failed. Reconnect all connections and visually inspect the wire harness. Verify that the diagnostic code still exists. If the diagnostic code still exists perform the Test Steps again.Replace the ECM, if the cause of the diagnostic code was not found after the second attempt. See Testing and Adjusting, "Electronic Control Module (ECM) - Replace".

Stop.

NOT OK - The resistance is not greater than 3000 Ohms. Proceed to Test Step 3.
Test Step 3. CHECK THE PARKING BRAKE SWITCH

Lower the cab.

Remove the parking brake switch.

Disconnect the wire harness from the switch.

Measure the resistance from terminal 2 to terminal 3 of the parking brake switch.
Expected Result:

The resistance should be greater than 5000 Ohms.

Results:

OK - The resistance is greater than 5000 Ohms.
Repair: The wire harness has failed. Repair the wire harness and/or the connector or replace the wire harness and/or the connector.

Stop.

NOT OK - The resistance is not greater than 5000 Ohms.
Repair: The parking brake switch has failed. Replace the parking brake switch.

Stop.

Test Step 4. CHECK FOR A FLASHING PARKING BRAKE INDICATOR AFTER THE SYSTEM IS ENABLED

Note: The seat will still need to be occupied and the armrest will need to be down. The key start switch will also need to be in the ON position.

Press and release the parking brake switch.
Expected Result:

The parking brake light should be off.

Results:

OK - The parking brake light is off.
Repair: There is no problem at this time.

Stop.

NOT OK - The parking brake is flashing. Proceed to Test Step 5.
Test Step 5. CHECK THE CIRCUIT OF THE HYDROSTATIC PILOT VALVE

Measure the resistance between contact 29 and contact 68 (wire H416-GN and wire 975-WH) of the wire harness connector.
Expected Result:

The resistance should be approximately 11 Ohms.

Results:

OK - The resistance is approximately 11 Ohms. Proceed to Test Step 7.

NOT OK - The resistance is not approximately 11 Ohms. Proceed to Test Step 6.
Test Step 6. CHECK THE HYDROSTATIC PILOT VALVE

Locate the hydrostatic pilot valve.

Disconnect the wire harness from the hydrostatic pilot valve.

Measure the resistance of the coil of the hydrostatic pilot valve.
Expected Result:

The resistance should be approximately 10.5 Ohms.

Results:

OK - The resistance is approximately 10.5 Ohms.

Stop.

NOT OK - The resistance is not approximately 10.5 Ohms.
Repair: The coil of the hydrostatic pilot valve has failed. Replace the coil.

Stop.

Test Step 7. CHECK THE CIRCUIT OF THE HYDROSTATIC PILOT SOLENOID FOR A SHORT TO GROUND

Measure the resistance from contact 3 to contact 24 (wire 201-BK to wire G988-OR) of the wire harness connector.
Expected Result:

Results:

Stop.

NOT OK - The resistance is not greater than 5000 Ohms. Proceed to Test Step 8.
Test Step 8. CHECK THE HYDROSTATIC PILOT SOLENOID FOR A SHORT TO GROUND

Locate the hydrostatic pilot solenoid.

Disconnect the hydrostatic pilot solenoid from the wire harness.

Measure the resistance from the two solenoid wires to the machine frame.
Expected Result:

Results:

Stop.

Repair: The hydrostatic pilot solenoid has failed. Replace the coil of the hydrostatic pilot solenoid.

Stop.

Edited by Donnie on 6/14/2010 at 10:28 AM EST
catmastertech, Technician
Experience: 19 years Cat, 3 years Case