Curtis B.
Curtis B., service manager
Experience:  30 years exp. with diesel engines, heavy equipment and forklifts, including lp forklifts

John Deere 425, 700 hours, engine turns..light comes..battery cable

Customer Question

John Deere 425, 700 hours, engine turns over but won't fire. Idiot light comes on.

Checked carborator and fuel is coming out, pulled plugs both sides and they are good (spark), fuses good, battery cable good, new battery. Has oil, gas filter has been changed.
Category: Heavy Equipment
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 6 years ago.
There are two different fuel shutoff versions for this unit depending on serial number. Does your unit have an electric solenoid in the base of the carburetor, or does it have a separate valve mounted with four fuel lines running through it? Check the valve for a click when the key is turned on. This valve in either version has to open the fuel or the engine won't run. No click, no fuel. If you don't get a click, check to see if there is battery voltage to the valve with the key turn on. Let me know what you find. Thanks.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I'm trying to identify that solenoid, but I can't see it on the parts diagram. I did come up with a part number AM18873 but I don't think this is the right part number. The part that I identify as a solenoid is a round piece with a wire coming out of it facing the radiator directly below the carburetor. That wire goes to a part that is approximately 1" X 2" and has a number of TL-91 and another number stamped below 6.4. The carburetor only has 1 fuel line. This unit is a 20 HP OHV (425) with a serial #TCD P/N(NNN) NNN-NNNNand underneath it is another P/N AM117354. The engine has a family ID of SKA617U1G2RA. If you could help me identify the solenoid and the part number I would appreciate it.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 6 years ago.
The John Deere on line manual I was looking at has it as P/N MIU11222 sub for M114454. It goes in the front of the lower part of the main body of the carburetor. One wire, and it does point forward. Did you find yours and is it working? The AM18873 is the one that mounts separately from the carburetor and has the three lines, I was thinking four. Let me know. Thanks.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thank you for the information. It has a click.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 6 years ago.
This unit shows to have a manual shut off valve. If I thought the electric shutoff was a problem, if it were mine, I would disable it by cutting off the plunger and unhook the wire to it. Just my thought. Thanks.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
The part clicks so it works, yes? I don't want to modify a part if I can buy a new part. There doesn't appear to be a shut off.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 6 years ago.
I would take it out and observe the operation. It could be ok. Many times after they get hot they will drop out and kill the engine. You have a starting issue. You said you have spark, so I figured it was no fuel getting to the engine. The parts book also showed that the 425 has an electric fuel pump in the tank?? I'm going to include the john deere web site so you can pull up the 425 and look at what I was seeing. Thanks.