Cat Man
Cat Man, Caterpillar Engine Expert
Experience:  23 Years Caterpillar Engine experience.
30708357

PETERBILT..A CAT ENG. NO THROTTLE RESPONSE AND GAUGES NOT..ON.

I HAVE A 2006 PETERBILT MODEL 279 THAT HAS A CAT ENG. NO THROTTLE RESPONSE AND GAUGES NOT WORKING. HEADLGHTS STAY ON AND TAILIGHTS ON. AND NOTICED THREE ROCKER SWITCH LIGHTS ON DASH PANEL. HOOKED UP NEXIQ AND FOUND THREE CODES OIL PRESSURE SENSOR OPEN - TURBO BOOST SENSOR OPEN - THROTTLE POSTION SENSOR SLOW TO RESPOND. BUT BEFORE THIS HAPPEND ONE DAY WE HAD A BAD STORM AND BAD LIGHTING REAL CLOSE TO THE TRUCK. I DON'T KNOW IF THIS HAS ANYTHING TO WITH THIS? WHAT'S WRONG?

Hi. Thanks for using JA! I will try and help you out.

Could you see anywhere on the truck that looked like lightning hit it?

Did this problem start right after the storm or something else?

From what your saying, there could possibly be ECM damage.

Thanks for the information.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

I LOOKED AROUND DID NOT SEE ANY BURNED MARKS. DID NOT LOOK TO CLOSE TO ANTENNA'S OR EXHAUST TIPS. BUT LOOKED O.K

YES-THIS PROBLEM AFTER STORM.....

I have seen several trucks hit by lightning over the years. After the truck is struck, one of two things happen.

The ECM gets fried which obviously causes the engine not to run. Or many of the circuits get damaged and cause fault codes on these damaged circuits.

In your case, the reason the gages on the dash do not work is because the ECM feeds many of them. Coolant temp, RPM's, and Oil Pressure.

If it was me, I would be thinking about trying a Test ECM. DO you have another truck that you could borrow an ECM off of?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

YES I DO I WILL TRY THAT!!

Great. Let me know how it works out.

Hey. All you have to do is hit the "Accept" button on this question and I'll get paid.

Thanks!