Andy, Technician
Experience:  310s and 310t technician licenses, 17 yrs experience, International Diamond Certified Tech 7 yrs

I have a 05 isx cummins engine..disengage..faults..wiring..valve cover

Customer Question

i have a 05 isx cummins engine 565hp.the engine brake will disengage intermitently every time you use it. it will disengauge and reengauge in pasition 2and 3 but is ok in 1.there are no faults showing and i replacer the wiring to the solonoids under the valve cover as there was oil leaking into the connection.any ideas where to look.
Category: Heavy Equipment
Expert:  FIX-IT replied 4 years ago.
Hi there.i can help you with this..give me your serial # XXXXX we'll go through it..
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
the engine is in a 2005 international truck model 9900 the vin# XXXXX VIN2HSCHAPR65C196002. if you need the engine serial # XXXXX let me know. thanks Reg.
Expert:  FIX-IT replied 4 years ago.
sorry yes,engine serial number
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
i sent my serial # XXXXX have not recieved any info from you , i was wondering if you did not recieve the email or it just takes this much time to solve the problem? Reg
Expert:  Andy replied 4 years ago.
Hi there! My name is XXXXX XXXXX X think I can help you resolve your problem!
Do you have your engine serial number ? I don't see it here anywhere ! I can tell you however that most of the problems I have seen on the isx engine brake is the wiring connections to the solenoids themselves under the valve cover . They become loose from the vibration and cause intermittent connection and therefore, the problem you are having . You can also try to check the little round engine brake connector on the left side , just under the valve cover. It may have bad contact there as well . The reason why # XXXXX works ok is because the turbo kicks in to assist in braking in that position but you would probably still have intermittent connection under the valve cover .
Expert:  Andy replied 4 years ago.
Any luck at all?
Expert:  Andy replied 4 years ago.
Is there anything else I can do to help you ? Just let me know!
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
hello andy, my engine # XXXXX XXXXX the cpl # XXXXX XXXXX . thanks for the reply to my problem but first i think you should read what i wrote in my original request. i have already replaced the wiring harness under the valve cover so i don't think there should be a connection problem there. also the engine brake does cut out in position 3 and 2,position 1 is the only one that does not seem to be affected.also i have good oil pressure and no codes showing. the brake cuts in and out in a very predictable manner ,and i have also checked the switch on the clutch pedal and it seems ok maybe there are some issues with the fuel pedal ? give it another try thanks Reg.
Expert:  Andy replied 4 years ago.
While you were in there replacing the wiring , did you test the brake solenoids to make sure they were both good? Sounds like only one is working!Position 1 is for one solenoid, position 2 activates both solenoids and position 3 activates both solenoids and turbo to give you further braking.

Edited by Andy3221 on 5/25/2010 at 6:55 PM EST
Expert:  Andy replied 4 years ago.
here are the specs for the solenoids:

Check the resistance of each solenoid with the wiring harness disconnected from the solenoid.

Measure the resistance from the terminal to the body of the solenoid.

12-VDC
Cold Engine 5 to 20 ohms
Hot Engine 5 to 20 ohms
24-VDC
Cold Engine 32 to 40 ohms
Hot Engine 60 to 80 ohms

Replace the solenoid if not within specifications.

Inspect the engine brake wiring harness, if the solenoids are within specifications.

Expert:  Andy replied 4 years ago.
Let me know if you need anything else!
Expert:  Andy replied 4 years ago.
Any luck at all
Andy, Technician
Experience: 310s and 310t technician licenses, 17 yrs experience, International Diamond Certified Tech 7 yrs
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
hello andy, i checked the solenoins and both were about 9 ohms so i assume they are ok the wiring seems ok as far as i can tell the switchs in the dash seem good so i guess i'm off to the dealer. thanks for your help nice talking to you. Reg.
Expert:  Andy replied 4 years ago.
Might be something wrong in the programming perhaps! Thanks for the accept ! Take care!