tj, Mechanic
Experience:  10 years of john deere,agco,new holland,cummins

I have 1988 john deere 210c..forward gears..engaging..reverse

Customer Question

I have 1988 john deere 210c. The problem I'm having it lax power in forward gears and after its up its very slow engaging in forward. Its has plenty of power in reverse and engages with no problem.
Category: Heavy Equipment
Expert:  tj replied 6 years ago.

HI and welcome to JA. THe first thing that needs to be done is the forward clutch needs to be pressure tested. and if the pressure is slow to come up it can be the modulation valve or a failed piston on the clutch pack. if the pressure comes up quick then you have a failed clutch pack. The pressure should be 160-180 psi at idle.

IF you need more help just ask

If you agree with my answer then please accept,feedback is also welcomed THANKS

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thanks Tj for your help. I'm not heavy equipment mechanic but I'm mechanically inclined. Where would I find the forward clutch valve to pressure test it? Is this something I can do myself with some guidance? The modulation valve sounds to be a valve thats just needs to replaced if i can located it, if thats found to be the problem. fail piston I don't about that one or the clutch pack. Will I need to these items somewhere to be rebuild?
Expert:  tj replied 6 years ago.

THe forward pressure port should be located on top of the reverser. test your pressure and also see if your solenoid on the reverser is getting a full 12 volts with the lever in the forward position.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Tj, there is two solenoid on the reverser one on each side near the top. I remember checking the voltage going to both of them. One of the solenoid had 12 volts in both the forward and reverse position. The other solenoid didn't have any voltage. So as I'm sitting in the seat facing forward (steering wheel) which solenoid should I check in the forward position? Is it normal for that one solenoid to have 12 volt in both forward and reverse.