Curtis B.
Curtis B., service manager
Experience:  30 years exp. with diesel engines, heavy equipment and forklifts, including lp forklifts

In a Hough 60 payloader w/V-378 cummins.Run out of fuel.Tried

Customer Question

In a Hough 60 payloader w/V-378 cummins.Run out of fuel.Tried alot of things,cannot get it to purge and fire up.No lift pump at tank.Not sure how system works.Inj pump up top in V. Don't have a manual on fuel system.
Category: Heavy Equipment
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 6 years ago.
The system pulls fuel from the tank to the primary filter , then it should have a priming pump in line before the second filter. After the second filter it should go to the injection pump. If you haven't filled the filters with fuel, that should be your first move. Locate the priming pump, and loosen the incoming line (big hose) at the injection pump. Pump the primer till fuel comes out at the injection pump. Tighten the hose on the injection pump. Loosen the return line on the injection pump and use the primer pump to purge the air from the injection pump. Tighten the return line and you should be ready to run. Thanks.

Edited by curtis beason on 5/4/2010 at 10:40 PM EST
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Not quite that simple Curtis.This system has no primer pump.Big hose from the tank to primary and sec filters side by each,then same size to pump-no bleed plugs.Small steel fuel line off fuel solenoid to front of heads T into fuel rails,out the back and into cross T again(return)Smaller line off end of pump also runs to cross T then larger line to tank again.Where these two lines leave and return to tank is a 2" x4" cylinder shaped part flanged into tank with a vent on top.New filters were loaded as per usual filter change (but this was run dry)Tried forcing fuel up with slight pressure on tank,fuel came to pump conection but still would'nt fire.Pump drive was checked.Yes the tank is right full now.Thinking of opening up the flanged part into tank to see if problem there.Could sure use some literature on that fuel system or someone familar with this old stuff
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 6 years ago.
Sounds like you have done your homework. What about the fuel kill solonid on the fuel pump? Is it working? This is not a true injection pump, it is the fuel supply pump, it puts fuel into the fuel manifolds on each head and then it has cam operated injectors that spray fuel into the cylinder. It sounds like the fuel is not coming out of the pump. This would be caused by the fuel kill solonoid. I believe this pump has a screw on it that you can screw in and bypass the solonoid. The engine will start but you won't be able to kill it other than screwing out the screw again. Before I give up ,see about the solenoid. Thanks.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Sorry should have mentioned that I checked solenoid (power wise OK),why would it have any other issues all of a sudden.Thought of installing an electric pump or primer downstream of filters--?
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 6 years ago.
Did you see a thumb screw on the pump? Cummins always put a screw on there pumps to bypass the solenoid. I think the problem is at the pump.Remove the solenoid and see if it could be stuck and not opening.I don't think an additional pump is going to help.