Buddy, Technician
Experience:  20 years experience. Freightliner tech for last 14 years

Freightliner..accelerate..the check engine light turns on..gas pedal

I have a 2000 freightliner with a Detroit Diesel engine 13 spd. I can accelerate then when I lay off the accelerator the check engine light turns on, I have to pump the gas pedal once or twice for it to pick back up. When It picks back up it feels like it has a loss of power. It then doesnt do it for a long period of time. It only does it sometimes. Any ideas as to what is going bad or what is happening?

Hi and welcome to JA. I am Buddy, and i will try and help you out.

Turn your ignition on and hold down your engine check/shutdown override switch and count the flahses on your check engine light and stop engine light. There will be a short pause between each number of the code. The codes are 2 digit codes. Let me know what all the codes are in order they are flashed and also which light they came off of. Also what is the last 6 of your truck vin # XXXXX

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I checked the flashes. Sorry that this took so long but I dont actually drive the truck I have a driver in it and he was trying to figure out how to get the codes. He is telling me that the Engine protection light flashes 22, 31, 31, 25 and the Check engine light flashes 32, 61, 46, 16 and 43. I dont know if this sounds right but let me know how to exactly do it and i will let him know.

Thanks for the reply and the info.

Those counds sound correct. Does not sound right on the lights that were flashed out on tho. That is no biggie. Most of those codes are older codes from previous failures. Out of all of them, the throttle sensor 22 code is the one more then likely causing your problem.

This diagnostic condition for code 22 is typically:?

• Open sensor signal circuit
  • Open sensor +5 volt supply circuit
  • Sensor signal is shorted to sensor return circuit or to ground

22 is throttle position input voltage low

31 is auxillary output circuit failure. This can be a number of things.

25 is for no codes

32 stop engine light short

61 injector response time long.

46 ecm battery volt low

16 coolant level sensor input voltage low

43 low coolant

I hope this helps you out. If you have anymore questions, just ask.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Ok I have had problems with the main ground above the batteries. I thing I have to replace the bolt and retighten everything. Does this sound like it would work? Also how can I clear the old codes?

It is possible it could be battery connection. If that looks good, i would inspect the throttle position sensor plug at the foot pedal and make sure plug is not corroded and none of the pins in the plug are spread open to much. Far as clearing the codes, the only way is to hook a handheld reader or laptop to truck and clear the code that way. I hope this helps you out. If you have anymore questions just ask.