Buddy
Buddy, Technician
Experience:  20 years experience. Freightliner tech for last 14 years
19040450

WHERE IS THE DDEC-VCU LOCATED AT IN A 2003 FRTLINER COLUMBIA

Customer Question

WHERE IS THE DDEC-VCU LOCATED AT IN A 2003 FRTLINER COLUMBIA , WITH A MBE4000. THE PICTURE SHOWS IT BEING PASS SIDE DASH, BUT ALL I CAN FIND THE WAS A FUSE BOX. AND LEFT SIDE OF ENGINE IS NOT THE ANSWER I WANT EITHER...
AND SUGGESTIONS CAUSE IN THE TROUBLE SHOOTING FACTORY MANUEL THE PICTURE IS WRONG OR SOMETHING NOT RIGHT...PLEASE HELP....FAULT CODE WAS SID 254
Category: Heavy Equipment
Expert:  Buddy replied 4 years ago.

Hi and welcome to JA. I am Buddy, and i will try and help you out.

The VCU normally on a columbia is in b-pillar behind the passenger seat on the side wall. There will be a screw you turn one revolution and side panel will open. If it is not in there, look on opposite side behind drivers seat. If you have anymore questions or info. Just ask.

Thanks
Buddy

Also here is the troubleshooting info for fault sid 254

Section 33.2
Troubleshooting SID 254

The following procedure will troubleshoot SID 254.?

Section 33.2.1
254 12 - DDEC-VCU Internal Error

Perform the following steps to troubleshoot 254 12, DDEC-VCU internal error.?

1. Reset the DDEC-VCU.

Note: Turning the ignition off for more than 10 seconds will reset the DDEC-VCU.

2. Check for active fault codes.
    1. If fault code 254 12 is no longer active, erase fault code memory.
    2. If fault code 254 12 is still active, go to step 3 .
  3. Check for other active fault codes.
    1. If there are other active fault codes, refer to their appropriate sections.
    2. If there are no other fault codes, replace the DDEC-VCU. Erase fault code memory.

Edited by Buddy on 4/13/2010 at 10:37 PM EST
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
also another code was SID 248. any info would be great. Would this SID 248 code keep truck from starting ? Am I right in thinking this is causing it not to start or run ? Thank you for the tech tip on the location of vcu.
Expert:  Buddy replied 4 years ago.

Thanks for the reply.

Those 2 codes kind of go together. That is more then likely the reason the truck will not start. Here is the troubleshooting info on that code SID 248.

Section 32.2.1
248 02 - No Communication Between VCU and PLD

Perform the following steps to troubleshoot a loss of communication between the VCU and PLD.?

Note: If fault code is inactive and the engine starts, the most likely cause is a poor electrical connection, careful inspection of all mentioned connectors below is necessary.

1. Is the fault code active?
    1. Yes, go to step 10 .
    2. No, go to step 2 .
  2. Inspect all battery terminals for clean and proper connection.
  3. Inspect the C1 ground stud for clean and proper connection.
  4. Inspect the under hood fuse box for clean and proper battery connection and voltage supply.
  5. Disconnect the VCU 21-pin connector.
  6. Turn the Ignition switch to the ON position.
  7. Measure the voltage between pin 21/1 of the VCU 21-pin connector and battery ground.
    1. If the voltage is greater than 11 volts, go to step 8 .
    2. If the voltage is less than 11 volts, repair the cause of low/no voltage to pin 21/1 of the VCU 21-pin connector.
  8. The Ignition switch MUST be in the CRANK position for this measurement. Measure the voltage between pin 21/2 of the VCU 21-pin connector and battery ground.
    1. If the voltage is greater than 11 volts, go to step 9 .
    2. If the voltage is less than 11 volts, repair the cause of low/no voltage to pin 21/2 of the VCU 21-pin connector.
  9. Measure the voltage between pin 21/1 and 21/3 of the VCU 21-pin connector.
    1. If the voltage is greater than 11 volts, go to step 10 .
    2. If the voltage is less than 11 volts, repair wire between 21/3 of the VCU 21-pin connector and battery ground.
  10. Disconnect the PLD 16-pin connector.
  11. Turn the Ignition ON.
  12. Measure the voltage between pin 16/5 of the PLD 16-pin connector and battery ground.
    1. If the voltage is greater than 11 volts, go to step 13 .
    2. If the voltage is less than 11 volts, repair cause of low/no voltage to pin 16/5 of the PLD 16-pin connector.
  13. Measure the voltage between pin 16/6 of the PLD 16-pin connector and battery ground.
    1. If the voltage is greater than 11 volts, go to step 14 .
    2. If the voltage is less than 11 volts, repair the cause of low/no voltage to pin 16/6 of the PLD 16-pin connector.
  14. The Ignition switch MUST be in the CRANK position for this measurement. Measure the voltage between pin 16/15 of the PLD 16-pin connector and battery ground.
    1. If the voltage is greater than 11 volts, go to step 15 .
    2. If the voltage is less than 11 volts, repair the cause of low/no voltage to pin 16/15 of the PLD 16-pin connector.
  15. Measure the voltage between pin 16/5 and 16/9 of the PLD 16-pin connector.
    1. If the voltage is greater than 11 volts, go to step 16 .
    2. If the voltage is less than 11 volts, repair wire between 16/9 of the PLD 16-pin connector and battery ground.
  16. Measure the voltage between pin 16/5 and 16/11 of the PLD 16-pin connector.
    1. If the voltage is greater than 11 volts, note all voltage measurements taken and contact the Detroit Diesel Customer Support Center at(NNN) NNN-NNNNfor further instructions.
    2. If the voltage is less than 11 voltage, repair wire between 16/11 of the PLD 16-pin connector and battery ground.
Section 32.2.1.1
Required Actions

Perform the following steps to resolve a proprietary datalink fault.?

1. Restore battery voltage at wire 15 on the small engine harness connector (16-pin) on the PLD-MR.
Section 32.2.1.2
Required Actions

1. Clean or repair as required the terminals on the small engine harness connector (16-pin) plug on the PLD-MR. See Figure "PLD-MR Engine Bulkhead Schematic - Business Class" and see Figure "PLD-MR Engine Bulkhead Schematic - Acterra" for wiring schematics.
  2. Erase the fault code memory.
Section 32.2.1.3
Required Actions

1. Replace or clean the 15-pin connector contacts on the DDEC-VCU as required.
  2. Erase fault code memory.
Section 32.2.1.4
Required Actions

1. Replace the twisted wire pair set 439D- and 439D+ between the PLD-MR and the DDEC-VCU.
  2. Erase the fault code memory.
Section 32.2.1.5
Required Actions

1. Check the DDEC-VCU and PLD-MR ground wires for continuity.
  2. Erase the fault code memory.

Section 32.2.2
248 14 - DDEC-VCU Internal Error

Perform the following step to troubleshoot a DDEC-VCU internal error fault.?

1. Check for continuity in wires 439D- and 439D+ connecting the PLD-MR and the DDEC-VCU. See Figure "PLD-MR Engine Bulkhead Schematic - Business Class" and see Figure "PLD-MR Engine Bulkhead Schematic - Acterra" for wiring schematics.
    1. If continuity was not measured in wires 439D- and 439D+, refer to "32.2.2.1 Required Actions" .
    2. If continuity was measured in wires 439D- and 439D+, go to step 2 .
  2. Check for a short to power between wires 439D- and 439D+ connecting the PLD-MR to the DDEC-VCU.
    1. If a short was measured, refer to "32.2.2.1 Required Actions" .
    2. If a short was not measured, go to step 3 .
  3. Check for a short to ground in wires 439D- and 439D+ connecting the PLD-MR to the DDEC-VCU.
    1. If a short was detected, refer to "32.2.2.1 Required Actions" .
    2. If a short was not detected, refer to "32.2.2.2 Required Actions" .
Section 32.2.2.1
Required Actions

Perform the following steps to resolve a DDEC-VCU internal error fault.?

1. Replace the twisted pair wire set 439D- and 439D+ between the PLD-MR and the DDEC-VCU.
  2. Erase the fault code memory.
Section 32.2.2.2
Required Actions

1. Inspect and clean the wire contacts as required.
  2. Erase the fault code memory.

Thanks

Buddy

Buddy, Technician
Experience: 20 years experience. Freightliner tech for last 14 years
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Buddy, I have a couple more questions for you....On the 16-pin connector there is no 16/5 and no 16/9 pin in the 16 pin connector ? ( Question #2. ) How do you go about restoring voltage to wire 16/15 small engine harness (as said in step 9) ?

Let me tell you what happened to truck. As driver was driving, the drive shaft broke and somehow severed all the wires in the middle , each end was still intact at their connecting ends. Could this cause a short or damage to the VCU , by all the severed wire touching one another? Because the truck just quit running and since has never started again and the 254 fault is still there. Also, when we turn on key, we do get dash lights, and it does crank, but won't kick over. Should I just replace VCU ?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

IT WILL START AND RUN ON ETHER (BY THE WAY).

Expert:  Buddy replied 4 years ago.

Thanks for the reply.

On the 16 pin connector it is referring to the 16 pin plug at the pld. This is the ecm on drivers side of block. If that is where you are checking, let me know, and i will try and pull a wiring diagram for that circuit. That starts at step 10. I would not buy a vcu yet. If you had a test one, or a friends truck that had one, i would try a test one first just to see if it will crank. If you do have to replace the vcu, the new one will have to be reprogrammed.

Let me know if you are checking at the pld, if so i will try and pull up a wiring diagram and see where those wires go to.Also what is the last 6 of your truck vin

Thanks
Buddy

Edited by Buddy on 4/16/2010 at 1:47 AM EST
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
yes that was where i was checking at.. the vin # XXXXX . Any help you give will be great, as it so far has been. thanks once again ...
Expert:  Buddy replied 4 years ago.

Thanks for the reply.

pin 5 of the 16 pin connector should be 439C. This will be the power supply to the pld.

pin 9 of the 16 pin connector is a ground.

I am attaching wiring diagram also. There should be a Y in the harness about a foot from the pld. Then about 6 inches down there should be 2 plugs. That is where the ground and voltage supply come into that harness from another harness. Might be a easy test point. I am going to try and find other side of that harness.

DIAGRAM <<<<<< click there for diagram

Just zoom in on diagram to see it better.

I just found another diagram that shows the power wire coming from a 15 amp fuse and the ground going straight to battery. The fuse is probaly in or near your battery box.Here is that diagram. Go to page 5 and zoom in and look at 439C wire

DIAGRAM2 <<<<< click there

I hope this helps you out.

Thanks
Buddy

Edited by Buddy on 4/16/2010 at 4:01 AM EST
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

buddy, the diagrams did not upload , could not see anything on page. please try again.. thanks

Expert:  Buddy replied 4 years ago.

Here they are

DIAGRAM1

DIAGRAM2

Let me know if they work that time. If not we will try a different route

Thanks

Buddy

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Buddy, Thanks for the diagrams, I was able to view them. Now I have another question for you and what you think or know.... Could it be possible that when all the wires were twisted and severed around the driveline, that when all power was lost to truck , at that point it would cause the need to have the computer reprogrammed, before it will run again, or before the SID 248 fault code clears ? Or is there some other way to clear that active fault code , now that all wires have been reconnected and repaired , and everything has proper voltage measurements ? The truck will start and run when ether is applied, but dies once used up. Check engine lite comes back on after all others go out when attempting to start up, and it does crank, but check engine lite returns on with active SID248. At this point, do you think reprogramming it will help and tell it all wires are working once again??? PLD OR VCU, which would need it, or both?
Expert:  Buddy replied 4 years ago.

Thanks for the reply.

Normally they would not need to be reprogrammed if something like that happened, but i have seen strange things happen before. I would suggest to carry your vcu and your pld to your local freightliner dealer and see if they are able to connect to them. If they can not, then they would try and reprogram them to your engine serial number.There is no other way to clear the code. I hope this helps you out. If you have anymore questions, just ask.

Thanks
Buddy

Edited by Buddy on 4/20/2010 at 12:50 AM EST
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

ok thanks ....guess that is about the only choice at this point.....i'll keep you updated ....maybe even have another question for you??? thanks

Vickie D...

Expert:  Buddy replied 4 years ago.

Thanks Vickie.

Let me know what you come up with.