Cat Man
Cat Man, Caterpillar Engine Expert
Experience:  23 Years Caterpillar Engine experience.
30708357

NO POWER ON INTERNATIONAL DT466e

Customer Question

NO POWER ON INTERNATIONAL DT466e
Category: Heavy Equipment
Expert:  Cat Man replied 6 years ago.

Hi. Thanks for using JA! I am Scott and I will try and help you out.

Does the check engine light come on?

Did the engine lose power recently?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

THIS TRUCK WAS PARKED FOR ABOUT A YEAR, AND WAS FINE PRIOR TO THAT. NO CHECK ENGINE LIGHTS AT ALL, THE TRUCK IDLES AND RUNS GREAT BESIDES NO POWER ESPECIALLY WHEN LOADED (26' BOX).

Expert:  Cat Man replied 6 years ago.

Thanks for the information. If you have no check engine light then I would start with the fuel system. If the truck has set a year, I may check/change the fuel as well as the fuel filters.

If that does not do, I would check the fuel system pressure. I will look up and attach the procedure.

Expert:  Cat Man replied 6 years ago.

Here is the procedure for checking fuel pressure.

FUEL PRESSURE FULL LOAD

FROM FORM EGED-150

8. FUEL PRESSURE FULL LOAD

Measure fuel pressure at fuel filter bleeder

Measure pressure at full load rated speed

Instrument

Spec.

Actual

0-160 PSI Gauge

20 PSI minimum

? If pressure is low, replace fuel filter, clean fuel strainer and retest

? If pressure still low, perform Test 2B

NOTE: TESTS 8.9 & 10 MAY BE PERFORMED SIMULTANEOUSLY AT FULL LOAD CONDITIONS

PURPOSE

To determine if the fuel system is supplying the engine with the proper fuel quantity and pressure at full load conditions.

TEST PROCEDURE

NOTE: If fuel filter is equipped with a water-in-fuel probe, check with vehicle operator to determine if the water-in-fuel lamp has been illuminated during vehicle operation.

1. If pressure gauge was not connected to fuel system in Test 2, remove air bleed valve Figure 2.35 on fuel filter header. Install 1/8 inch (3 mm) pipe fitting in place of the bleed valve..

2. Connect a line from the fitting to the 0-160 PSI gauge of the Model D-200 Pressure Test Kit (ZTSE-2239) or Gauge Bar (PS94-831-3) Figures 2.36 & 2.37 . Start engine and run at low idle to check for fuel leaks in line to pressure gauge.

NOTE: Bleed air from the fuel line to insure an accurate reading.

3. Drive vehicle on road till engine reaches operating temperature. Find an open section of road and select a suitable gear. Depress the accelerator pedal (full depression) to the floor and accelerate to rated speed and 100% load.

NOTE: Driving the vehicle up hill or fully loaded will facilitate efforts of reaching the proper engine loading at rated engine speed.

4. Measure fuel pressure and record on diagnostic form. If pressure is not within specifications, replace fuel filter, clean fuel strainer and re-check fuel pressure.

NOTE: It may take a number of crank cycles to purge the air out of the fuel system after replacing the fuel filter.

If fuel pressure remains low after replacing the filter, perform Transfer Pump Restriction Test 2B.

POSSIBLE CAUSES

• A fuel filter or clogged fuel strainer could cause high restriction and low fuel pressure because of dirt or fuel jelling in cold ambient temperatures. -- Replace fuel filter, clean strainer and re-test.
  • Debris in the fuel regulator valve will cause low fuel pressure.--Refer to Test 2B.
  • A kinked or severely bent fuel supply line or blockage at the pickup tube could cause restriction and therefore low fuel pressure.--Refer to Test 2B.
  • A loose fuel line on the suction side of the fuel system could cause air to be ingested into the system and cause low fuel pressure.--Refer to Test 2B.
  • The fuel pump could have internal damage, e.g. seized plunger or leaking check valves.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
replacing filter fuel and performing test
Expert:  Cat Man replied 6 years ago.
Sounds Good. Let me know how it works out.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

there's no difference in the power by replacing and checking fuel fiter and strainer, the fuel pressure is at 23.4 and never goes below that. Do you believe this problem has something to do with the Turbo? The truck runs great and moves somewhat without a load.

Expert:  Cat Man replied 6 years ago.
It is possible that you have a boost issue. Can yo hear the turbo at all when you are driving it?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
No, I do not hear the turbo at all, but it spins
Expert:  Cat Man replied 6 years ago.
I would inspect the air system and make sure it there no Boost leaks. Check the piping from the turbo to the aftercooler and from the aftercooler to the intake. You may want to pressurize the aftercooler to make sure that it does not have a hole in it.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
OK I will perform a pressurised leak test on turbo system.
Expert:  Cat Man replied 6 years ago.
Sounds good.