catmastertech
catmastertech, Technician
Experience:  19 years Cat, 3 years Case

caterpillar 3126 engine bolt torque settings complete Optional

Customer Question

caterpillar 3126 engine bolt torque settings complete

Optional Information:
Make (other): CATTERPILLAR
Model: 3126E
Engine: 3126
Category: Heavy Equipment
Expert:  catmastertech replied 4 years ago.
Lubricate the following components with 6V-4876 Lubricant : the bolt threads, the underside of the bolt heads and the washers.

Tighten the cylinder head bolts according to the following procedure:

Tighten bolt (1) through bolt (14) in a numerical sequence to a torque of 300 ± 15 N·m (220 ± 11 lb ft).

Loosen bolt (1) through bolt (14) until the washers are loose under the bolt heads.

Tighten bolt (1) through bolt (14) in a numerical sequence to a torque of 130 ± 15 N·m (95 ± 11 lb ft).

Again tighten bolt (1) through bolt (14) in a numerical sequence to a torque of 130 ± 15 N·m (95 ± 11 lb ft).

Turn bolt (1) through bolt (14) in a numerical sequence for an additional 90° (1/4 turn).

Tighten bolt (15) through bolt (20) in a numerical sequence to a torque of 55 ± 7 N·m (41 ± 5 lb ft).

Main bearing cap bolts

Install the bearing caps with the sequence number to the right. The order is 1 through 7 (front to rear).

Apply "SAE 30" engine oil to the bolt threads (6) and face of the washers.

Tighten bolts (6) on each bearing cap.
Tighten to the following torque. ... 54 ± 7 N·m (40 ± 5 lb ft)

Tighten bolts (12) on each bearing cap again.
Tighten the bolts by another one quarter of a turn. ... 90 ± 5 degrees

Connecting rod bolts

Use the instructions that follow in order to tighten the connecting rod cap bolts:

Before installing the rod cap, clean the mating surfaces of the connecting rod with compressed air or a steel brush. Ensure that there are no loose particles that remain from the process that is used to fracture the rod.
Note: Lubricate the seating faces of the rod cap bolts with 4C-5593 Anti-Seize Compound or engine oil before installing the bolts.

Install new connecting rod cap bolts (5) .
Tighten each of the cap bolts to the following torque. ... 70 ± 5 N·m (50 ± 4 lb ft)

Place an index mark on each connecting rod cap bolt and tighten each of the cap bolts for an additional 120 ± 5 degrees (1/3 of a turn).

Crankshaft pulley

Torque for four bolts ... 200 ± 25 N·m (150 ± 18 lb ft)

Flywheel

Torque for eight locking bolts ... 120 ± 20 N·m (90 ± 15 lb ft)

Exhaust manifold

Three-piece exhaust manifold

Typical example

Apply 5P-3931 Anti-Seize Compound to the threads of bolt (1) through bolt (12) .

Tighten bolt (1) through bolt (12) in a numerical sequence.
Tighten the bolts to the following torque. ... 4 ± 1 N·m (35 ± 9 lb in)

Tighten the bolts to the following torque. ... 45 ± 5 N·m (33 ± 4 lb ft)

Lock the tabs and bend the tabs (13) over the flat of the bolt heads.

Tighten the studs (14) to a torque of 35 ± 5 N·m (26 ± 4 lb ft).
Note: Prior to starting or running the engine, allow the sealant in the exhaust manifold joints to air dry for 24 hours.