catmastertech
catmastertech, Technician
Experience:  19 years Cat, 3 years Case
11546476

I am assembling a CAT engone 3304 need to know the torque for

I am assembling a CAT engone 3304 need to know the torque for thigtening the heads, the bearing rods metals etc
Do you have a serial number?

Here are some spec's on a 62K prefix 920.

Let me know if your serial number is XXXXX I still thing the spec's are the same though.

Torque on nut for connecting rod:

a. Put engine oil on threads and nut seat.

b. Tighten both nuts to ... 30 ± 3 lb. ft.(40 ± 4 N·m)

c. Mark each nut and end of bolt.

d. Again tighten both nuts (from mark) ... 90°

Install the connecting rod in the piston with the slot for the bearing tab on the same side as the V mark on the piston.

Torque for bolts holding bearing caps for main bearings:

a. Put engine oil on threads and washer face.

b. Tighten all bolts to ... 30 ± 3 lb. ft.(40 ± 4 N·m)

c. Put a mark on each bolt and cap.

d. Tighten all bolts from mark ... 90°

NOTE: Install bearing caps with the part number toward the front of the engine. Be sure that the mark (number) on the bearing cap next to the bolt hole is in agreement with the mark in the cylinder block.

Cylinder head.

Put 5P3931 Anti-Seize Compound on threads and tighten bolts in the Step sequence that follows:

Step 1. Tighten all bolts in number sequence to ... 115 lb. ft.(155 N·m)

Step 2. Again tighten all bolts in number sequence to ... 185 ± 13 lb. ft.(250 ± 17 N·m)

Step 3. Again tighten all bolts in number sequence to ... 185 ± 13 lb. ft.(250 ± 17 N·m)

Step 4. Tighten all bolts in letter sequence (hand torque only) to ... 32 ± 5 lb. ft.(43 ±7 N·m)

Torque for bolt that holds hub to crankshaft ... 230 ± 20 lb. ft.(307 ± 25 N·m)

Hit bolt with hammer and again tighten bolt to ... 230 ± 20 lb. ft.(307 ± 25 N·m)

NOTE: Install washer with the maximum flat area next to the hub.

graphic

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Hi thanks for the info need also torque clearance for the tappets and valve calibration for same engine

1. Put No. 1 piston at top center (TC) on the compression stroke.

2. Make an adjustment to the valve clearance on the intake valves for cylinders 1 and 2. Make an adjustment to the valve clearance on the exhaust valves for cylinders 1 and 3.

3. Turn the flywheel 360° in the direction of engine rotation. This will put No. 4 piston at top center (TC) on the compression stroke.

4. Make an adjustment to the valve clearance on the intake valve for cylinder 3 and 4. Make an adjustment to the valve clearance on the exhaust valves for cylinders 2 and 4.

5. After valve adjustment is correct, tighten the nuts for the valve adjustment screws to 22 ± 3 lb. ft. (28 ± 4 N·m).

graphic