Cat Man
Cat Man, Caterpillar Engine Expert
Experience:  23 Years Caterpillar Engine experience.

Special: removing..injectors on a Cat 3126, how do you

After removing injectors on a Cat 3126, how do you replace the injector cups? Does it require a special tool? At 400000 miles, do I need to replace the cups? I am going to replace my injectors and thought maybe I should replace cups while doing the injectors.

There is a special tool that removes the injectors cups. But, if your engine is not have any issues with fuel getting into the coolant. I would probably not replace them. The tool that is used actually damages the cups upon removal.

Please let me know if you have any more questions!

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
No. Not having any problems other than they have never been changed. So, you think better to just leave them alone until they do cause problem?
Yes. These cups do not give much trouble at all. I would clean up the bore area in the head and make sure to remove any excess fuel and oil that drained down into the combustion chamber before re installing the injectors.