Jeff
Jeff, Mechanic
Experience:  8 year forklift mechanic on all brands hydraulic hose cylinder repair parts source lpg knowledge
25442757

Bobcat: started right..wont start..hyd pump going to solenoid valves

Customer Question

Bobcat roller bca12s same as dd12 engine would not turn over ,diconnected all the lines and pulled the hyd pump off engine and engine started right up hooked hyd motor back up to engine with all lines cracked for air and roller started right up and everything worked for that day sat overnight and now won't start. Seems like hyd pump is resticting engine from starting I keep disconnecting lines from hyd pump going to solenoid valves but nothing seems to work . Every once in awhile roller will start after sitting buts seems like with a couple of spins of engine and gets air locked and slows engine revolution
Category: Heavy Equipment
Expert:  Jeff replied 4 years ago.
Hello, so just for clarity on my part if you disconnect hose from pressure side of hydrualic pump and crank engine over it does or does not have an effect on how the engine cranks over/starts?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

No does not have an effect on the engine
Expert:  Jeff replied 4 years ago.
Hello, I would check into your starter/battery as well, as your engine cranks over in those first couple of spins it is starting to develope compression. Its possible you starter is dragging due to worn bushings or brushes witch increases load and current draw on battery as compression increases. When you disconnected the hydraulic pump its possible it reduced the drag on the engine durung start up just enough to were it starts. Also load test your battery as well, it may show a good surface charge but is possible that it has reduced capacity while cranking due to a bad cell or poor connection. In short if you were to try to start the engine with the pressure side of the hydraulic pump hose in a bucket with no restriction the engine should spin over fine, if it does not i would look elsewhere for a problem as the hydraulic pump should not create enough drag to effect how the engine cranks over noticealbly, unless it is all ruined on the inside (witch is not the case as you said machine functions fine once you get it going). Thanks and let me know if you need more help.