Buddy
Buddy, Technician
Experience:  20 years experience. Freightliner tech for last 14 years

How to do a valve lash on 60 series detroit

how to do a valve lash on 60 series detroit
Category: Heavy Equipment
Expert:  Buddy replied 4 years ago.
HiCustomer Welcome to JA. I am Buddy, and i will try and help you out.

What is your engine serial number?

Thanks
Buddy
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
i don't have that information, but the engine is 2001, 470hp.
Expert:  Buddy replied 4 years ago.
Thanks for the reply. The year model will work.

1. Disconnect starting power for engine.
  2. Remove the engine valve rocker cover
  3. Insert a 3/4 in. drive breaker bar or ratchet into the square hole in the center of the crankshaft pulley.
  4. Bar the engine in the direction of rotation and observe the intake and exhaust valve rollers at any cylinder that is close to TDC (top dead center). Choose a cylinder that has the exhaust valves almost completely closed. Just as the exhaust valves are closing, the intake valves will start to open. This is the valve overlap period.
  5. Stop engine rotation at the time of valve overlap. Note which cylinder this is, and follow the sequence listed in Table "Valve Lash and Injector Height Adjustment Sequence" to correctly set valves and injector heights. The timing can be started with any cylinder in valve overlap.

Cylinder with Valve Overlap?

Set Valves on Cylinder No.?

Set Injector Height on Cylinder No.?

6?

1?

5?

2?

5?

3?

4?

3?

6?

1?

6?

2?

5?

2?

4?

3?

4?

1?

Table 6. Valve Lash and Injector Height Adjustment Sequence

Never set the valves and injector of the same cylinder at the same time. Doing this will result in engine damage.?

To adjust the intake valves, insert a 0.203 mm (0.008 in.) feeler gage between the tip of the valve stem and the valve button at the end of the rocker arm.
  1. Loosen the locknut, and turn the adjusting set screw until the feeler gage produces an even smooth pull between the valve stem and valve button.
  2. Torque the locknut to 41 - 47 N·m (30 - 35 lb·ft) and remove the feeler gage. Reinsert the feeler gage to ensure that the adjustment did not change when the locknut was tightened. Readjust as necessary.
  3. The exhaust valves are adjusted the same way as the intake valves, except use a 0.660 mm (0.026 in.) feeler gage.
  4. After each set of intake and exhaust valves is adjusted, adjust the corresponding injector listed in Table "Valve Lash and Injector Height Adjustment Sequence" .
  5. Adjust the fuel injector height for the engine models in parentheses by placing the small end of the height gage in the hole provided in the fuel injector body, with the flat of the gage toward the fuel injector plunger
  6. Loosen the fuel injector rocker arm locknut and turn the adjusting set screw until the extended part (flag) of the gage will just pass over the top of the injector follower. An accurate "feel" will be developed. The objective is to adjust all six injectors to the same feel.
  7. Torque the locknut to 41 - 47 N·m (30 - 35 lb·ft). Check the adjustment with the height gage and, if necessary, readjust the set screw. Remove the height gage.
  8. Refer to the adjusting sequence listed in Table "Valve Lash and Injector Height Adjustment Sequence" and proceed to the next cylinder in the adjustment sequence.
  9. Bar the engine over in the direction of normal rotation until the next cylinder in the adjustment sequence is in its valve overlap period.
  10. Repeat the valve adjustment and fuel injector height adjustments procedures until all the valves and fuel injectors have been adjusted.
  11. Replace the engine rocker cover.
  12. Reconnect starting power to the engine.

The proper injector height will on tag on valve cover. Example 80.3 .These are special height gauge tools. Also, if you have 2 jake brake housings, you will have to remove the jakes, and use the spacers for the jakes and the 6 of the jake bolts to hold the rocker arms down to a torque of 85 foot pounds.The jake setting should be on tag on top of jake. Set jakes after reinstalling them, and following the sequence chart and set them when the exhaust valves are ready to be set on each cylinder. I hope this helps you out. If you have anymore questions, just ask.

Thanks
Buddy

Buddy, Technician
Experience: 20 years experience. Freightliner tech for last 14 years