Buddy
Buddy, Technician
Experience:  25 years experience
19040450

92 MODEL 60 SERIES DETROIT WONT START, WHITE SMOKE, TRIES TO

92 MODEL 60 SERIES DETROIT WONT START, WHITE SMOKE, TRIES TO FIRE, CHANGED MAP, TRS, SRS SENSORS. FRESH BATTERIES & CLEAN CONNECTIONS
HiCustomer Welcome to JA. I am Buddy, and i will try and help you out.

-Do you have reader to moniter couple sensors while cranking?
-Does the check engine light come on with ignition and then go out 5 seconds later?
-You said it used to crank on either, when it would crank did it crank and run rough for couple seconds like it had lost prime or just crank right up with no problem?
-Have you checked fuel pressure while cranking?

Thanks
Buddy
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

DONT HAVE A MONITOR, CHECK ENG LIGHT & SHUTDOWN GO OUT,IT ACTS LIKE IT TRIES TO HIT, NOW NEW FUEL PMP W/ 15PSI CRANKING,SUCKING FUEL FROM BUCKET, STILL NO START

Thanks for the information.

15 psi cranking pressure is good cranking pressure. Check engine light coming on and then going off is good, indicates that the ecm is powering up.With truck smoking sounds like it is getting fuel. The only sensors that will prevent the engine from starting is the trs and the srs sensor.

If you had a reader, i was going to get you to see if the srs was receiving a signal and also see if the trs was showing rpm on the reader. I would start off ohming the wires from the sensor harness on the ecm. Check the srs wires by ohming both wires. You should have somewhere around 200 ohms on both the srs and both of the trs wires at the sensor harness plug of ecm.I would next inspect the ecm and make sure rubber mounting isolators are not wore allowing ecm to short out against block. Also look between the ecm and block and make sure nothing is between there shorting out ecm. If that showed good, i would remove the accessory drive on front cover and inspect the bull gear and make sure there is no excessive play in it. On these older detroits they had problems with bull gear bearings wearing out , and if so the gear could have moved foward and not allowing the srs sensor to get a reading off of it and not allowing the truck tor crank. Again i think your power harness is good, because you are getting a check engine light to come on, but i would unplug it and inspect and make sure you have your 12 volts and grounds at the plug.The only other thing would be to inspect and ohm the injector harness. I have seen the rub and short out on rear of head. I hope this helps you out. If you have anymore questions, just ask.

Thanks
Buddy
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

IT HAS FLASH CODES 16,42,43,45,46,52,54,61,63,65 IHAVENT BEEN ABLE TO CLEAR THEM AFTER DOING ALL THIS WORK.IS THIS RELEVANT? THANKS DERRELL

Thanks for the info Derrell

Its hard to say. Because all of them codes are probaly just stored codes, that have not been cleared. You will have to get someone with a reader to clear them all out. If you are getting a active code, your check engine light should stay on after ignition comes on or come back on while cranking.

The one that stands out to me is the 42. This is to few srs and this will not cause one to crank. To few srs could be wiring,srs sensor, or even the srs sensor not getting a reading off of the bull gear because of a bearing failure. 46 is battery voltage low, i would definatly check voltage at the power harness. 52 code is a ecm fault.

Those are the main ones that stick out to me. I hope that helps you out. If you have anymore questions, just ask.

Thanks
Buddy

Edited by Buddy on 2/28/2010 at 12:35 AM EST
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
NEWS FLASH FOUND BROKE BOLT LYING BEHIND COMPUTER, REMOVED IT NOW CK ENG LIGHT WONT COME ON GROUND THE CASE OF COMPUTER AND IT COMES BACK ON FOR 5 SECONDS
That does not sound good.

Sounds like your ecm might have been shorted out. Most of time removing bolt or whatever was shortingthe ecm fixes problem , sometimes it fries the ecm. Alot of times it will wear a hole thru ecm case as well. You should definatly not have to ground the ecm case. I would check power harness over good, but it sounds like now your ecm might be fried. I would try and find a test one, and see if it will run on test ecm. If you have anymore questions, just ask.

Thanks
Buddy