Buddy
Buddy, Technician
Experience:  20 years experience. Freightliner tech for last 14 years

Problems with detroit 60 series

Having problems with detroit 60 series. Loss of power when applying fuel. Check it with a computer. Injectors fine turbo ok. I removed a sensor from a top of the intake manafold and cleaned some carbon sot from it. It seem to run a bit better but it still putts as it excellerate. Need some help thank you much
Category: Heavy Equipment
Expert:  Buddy replied 4 years ago.
HiCustomer Welcome to JA. I am Buddy, and i will try and help you out.

What is the last 6 of your truck vin# ?
Does check engine light come on any?
Is it consistantly low power or does it come and go?
Does truck spitts and putts in all gears or just at higher gears around 1500 rpm? Does it smoke any when it does this?

Thanks
Buddy
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thanks for returning my help signs.
When I purchased the truck the check engine light was on then the dealer did something to it and it never came back on .I think that they might have disconnected it knowing there might be a problem. When I start the truck the light does not come on at all . If I knew what they did I would reconnect it. The low power is only when I start going in to higher gears sometimes in the mid range when I have a heavy load.
Yes it smokes when this occurs. I dont have the vin with me now but I can get it .
Expert:  Buddy replied 4 years ago.
Thanks for the reply.

It definatly sounds like they removed your check engine light bulb. The check engine light should come on with ignition and then go out 5 seconds later. I would definatly wanna get that fixed.

Your symptoms to me sound like you are getting compression back into the fuel system between the injector and the injector cup. I have seen this alot lately.This has been a problem on these early egr engines. The only check i have found to verify this, is to install a pressure gauge on the return line and when truck starts spitting and sputtering see if the gauge pressure spikes up and down. What i have seen when this happens is truck mainly does it in higher gears around 1500 rpm when engine is accelerating with a load. Engine will spit and sputter and shoot out black smoke and then it will finally smooth out and take off. If that sounds like what your problem is, i bet you are getting compression back into the fuel system. The fix for this is to remove all injectors and replace the orings. The one that is causing the problem will have carbon all the way up to the bottom injector oring and the bottom injector oring will be burnt off. Inspect that injector seat real good, and injector cup seat. You can normally clean injector cup up with a brush. By your year model, i figure your engine is a ddec4. The ddec5 engines had this same problem, and the require replacing the injector hold down bolt and washer and improved orings. If this is your problem, engine will run good, just only act up under a pull and it will not code anything.

If those are not your symtoms, i would start off by checking the fuel pressure. You should have around 20 psi at idle and around 70 at full throttle. If you had egr issue, i would figure it would be logging a 39 code in the ecm.If you had a sucking air in the fuel system, truck will normally be hard to start and the pressure would be low. I hope this helps you out. If you have anymore questions or info, just ask.

Thanks
Buddy

Edited by Buddy on 2/28/2010 at 3:27 AM EST
Buddy, Technician
Experience: 20 years experience. Freightliner tech for last 14 years
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I had changed the fuel filters twice the first time the fuel level was low . When I put the second filter on the fuel level was high. I had tighten the nut on the filter case and the fuel had shown some air bubbles then the fuel level dropped.At one point I had raised the RPMs and watched the fuel level rise in the filter chamber.I had cleaned a sensor located on the top of the intake manafold toward the rear of the engine this had a lot of sot and carbon inside it. I put it back and the truck ran a little better but it still sputtered but not as much.
Expert:  Buddy replied 4 years ago.
Thanks for the reply.

I would recommend checking fuel pressure and putting a gauge on the return fuel and seeing if your pressure spikes when this occurs to check for compression in fuel. Also if you see air bubbles in the filter bowl, then it is sucking air and can cause it to run rough and be hard to start. The boost sensor you are refering to is also very common on these egr engines to be sooted up with carbon. I can understand it running better if it was completely sooted up.

If you have anymore questions, just ask.

Thanks
Buddy
Buddy, Technician
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Hey Buddy you think that I should take of the intake manufold apart and clean too thinking that there might be carbon build up inside. I will run these test you recommended in the coming week and also look at replacing or plugging back in the chk engine Lt. Thanks agin
Expert:  Buddy replied 4 years ago.
Thanks for the accept and bonus, no need to accept again.

I would not worry about cleaning intake manifold, unless your gaskets were leaking. Let me know what you come up with on test, and if you have anymore questions, just ask.

Thanks again.
Buddy

Edited by Buddy on 2/28/2010 at 5:01 AM EST