ebnel
ebnel, Technician
Experience:  master certification diagnostics and repair
29754011

I have a 350 C John Deere dozer. I am having trouble with

I have a 350 C John Deere dozer. I am having trouble with the left lag steering clutch?
when i pull the lever and let it go back to the stop, the lag will not start immediately under a load, when it does start it works fine, it does not do it every time, I have made the adjustments for the clutch and brake on both levers, I have replaced spring and seal in the steering clutch valves, have checked the pressure on the reverer pump, was 100 lbs, changed to 150 lbs. ( 350C calls for 150lb) checked cooling oil pressure, it is 100 lbs, check clutch fork and it was not worn. What next?? Dennis Knowles
Category: Heavy Equipment
Expert:  ebnel replied 4 years ago.

Hello, Do you have oil leaking into brake band,and have you removed and checked steering clutch disks and plates yet for warping?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I do not have any oil leaking on the brake band. I have not had the steering clutches apart yet, wanted to check everything else first. Dennis
Expert:  ebnel replied 4 years ago.
What to make sure I understand this failure properly, you are saying left steering doesn't start when pulling lever or doesn't release when lever is at home position.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
With the dozer under a load if you pull the left lever track does go out of gear, when lever is returned to home position track may not start for a second or two. If I put the tractor in reverse and back into forward, the track will work fine, when the track works ok it will spin the same as the right track.
Expert:  ebnel replied 4 years ago.
Did you have the steering control valve completely disassembled? to check for scoring or blown o-ring below housing,If thats all ok and levers are adjusted according to tech. manual then would suspect either sticky or warped plates in clutch. Going from forward to reverse might be enough motion to make disks grab.
ebnel, Technician
Experience: master certification diagnostics and repair