Buddy
Buddy, Technician
Experience:  20 years experience. Freightliner tech for last 14 years
19040450

99 Century: engine dies..EC..no response 128s254 07..cools..20 miles

99 Century engine dies. Active fault 1 EC controller no response 128s254 07. If the truck sets and cools off it will start, run and drive for about 20 miles. Then does it again. All the connection on the battery are good. ECM fuses are good, grounds to the ECM are good. It sounds like a circiut breaker to me. Are there circuit breakers that would cause this? What are your thoughts on what to try next?
Category: Heavy Equipment
Expert:  Buddy replied 6 years ago.
HiCustomer Welcome to JA. I am Buddy, and i will try and help you out.

What engine do you have in truck?
Also what is the last 6 of your vin #?

Thanks
Buddy
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Hi Buddy,

60 series detroit, 12.7 435/470HP vin# XXXXX This code I'm getting is off the dash readout on the truck.

Expert:  Buddy replied 6 years ago.

Thanks for the info.

This fault is normally for a faulty ecm. There are no circuit breakers for the ecm.I would make sure there is nothing between the ecm and the block shorting it out. Also check the mounting isolators at the ecm and make sure they are not allowing the ecm to touch the block. The only fuse for the power harness is in the battery box or right outside of it. Sometimes there are 2 fuses. You should have a 5 amp ignition fuse in the fuse panel. I would next unplug the power harness from the ecm and check it. It is the top plug on starter side of ecm. You should have 12 volts A and C pins and a good ground at the other 3 pins. I would also inspect the power harness all the way back to the batteries for rubbed spot. I have seen lots of power harness issues. I hope this helps you out. If you have anymore questions, just ask.

Thanks

Buddy

Edited by Buddy on 2/22/2010 at 7:24 PM EST