catmastertech
catmastertech, Technician
Experience:  19 years Cat, 3 years Case
11546476

disconnect the battery to shut it down.

Customer Question

I have a 287B skidloader. When it is running the key will not shut it off. I have to disconnect the battery to shut it down. I bought a new ignition and that was not the problem. When it is not running and you have the battery connected the lights and a beep either stay on full time or they keep blinking. I think there has to be a short somewhere. What do you think? Thanks Butch
Category: Heavy Equipment
Expert:  catmastertech replied 4 years ago.

-Could you explain your situation a little more?
Which lights are blinking? Some do to show a fault with a circuit.

Are any lights on when it is running?

Does the machine start normally? Has any control been bypassed?

How does the fuse panel look? I have repaired many with corroded fuse panels.

Has any repairs been done recently?

Can you send me your serial number? It will help with searching for recent issues.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
The red lights up by the ignition are the lights that either blink or stay on all the time even when the key is off. The beep is the same beep when you first turn the key on but it stays beeping even with the key off now. As far as the fuse panel it looks very clean. I have pulled every fuse and they all look good. no repairs have been done recently. As far as the serial # XXXXX will have to get that tomorrow. It is at my work shop right now.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
As far as the fuse panel where would it be corroded? Would it be on the back side of it which you cannot see?
What image is in the lights? I see so many different models, it is hard for me to keep them apart.
Shouldn't the arm rest and park light be on until you lower the arm rest. Then you start the machine and you press the park switch and its light will go off as machine can now move. At this point, aren't all the lights off?
The fuses will be corroded and this will usually cause certain functions to not work.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
As far as it starting. It starts great. no problem. No I have not bypassed anything. I don't have the door on it so I have the plug in that wiring harness. But that is it. when it is running there are no lights on once you click off the brake. It run great as if nothing is wrong until you try to turn the machine off.

Looking at the schematic, it is possible to have a back feed of voltage at the fuel pump relay (green 110 wires) , main power relay (112 purple wires) ("A" in group with four others) or the heater or a/c (308 yellow wires) (if equipped).

Please send the serial number and I will check deeper into the problem.

catmastertech, Technician
Experience: 19 years Cat, 3 years Case
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
The serial # XXXXX XXXXX
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Where do I look for these relays? Do you have a diagram you can send me? Thanks Butch

The fuel pump relay should be near the filter or fuel injection pump. The four grouped together are usually mounted on the left wall beside the engine.

Check all for corrosion or loose connectors. Look for damage to wires and give them a pull to see if the wire might be broken.

I can get pieces of the diagram to you but, the whole schematic is too big to send here. I will cut some sections out to help show the wiring to these components.

I will run your serial number and let you know what I find.

Here is the guide to check the parking brake. It is what I use to find problems.

Troubleshooting
247B, 257B, 267B, 277B and 287B Multi Terrain Loaders and 216B, 226B, 232B, 236B, 242B, 246B, 248B, 252B, 262B and 268B Skid Steer Loaders Interlock Electronic Control System Media Number -RENR6417-01 Publication Date -01/08/2005 Date Updated -03/08/2005

Parking Brake Intermittent
SMCS - 4284-038

System Operation Description:

On some machines the parking brake will engage intermittently during normal operation. This can be caused by several components that are unrelated to each other. Components that can cause this problem are:

Park brake switch

Harnesses (cab panel, upper and lower platform)

Seat / arm bar switch

Main power relay

Power and ground connections (including battery cables)

Interlock ECM (unlikely)

Aux Hydraulic ECM is not tied to the park brake solenoid therefore can not cause the park brake to be set

graphic

graphic

graphic

Follow this guide and let me know if it leads you to the problem you are having.

I did find a service letter for your machine. It has expired and I don't see were your machine had this repair done. The dealer may not help much since this letter is two years old.

It replaces the park brake manifold.

Certain skid steer and multi terrain loaders may experience unacceptable service life for the parking brake solenoid valve assembly.

287B ZSA01287-02652, 2700-3895

1 each;(NNN) NNN-NNNNVALVE GP-MTG&

This is a one hour repair according to CAT.

graphic

Item #5:(NNN) NNN-NNNNMANIFOLD & SOLENOID GP-CONTROL (PARKING BRAKE)

If the guide doesn't point out the problem the valve may be the whole trouble.