Curtis B.
Curtis B., service manager
Experience:  30 years exp. with diesel engines, heavy equipment and forklifts, including lp forklifts

I just replaced 6 injectors on a 3116 cat motor i adjusted

I just replaced 6 injectors on a 3116 cat motor i adjusted the inlet and exhaust valves to spec i adjust the rocker arm on the injector to the spec on the valve cover 64.98mm the engine doesnt run just cranks i talked to some diesel tech they said not to go buy what the spec is on the valve cover but i couldnt find another spec in my book is there another spec to go buy did i do something wrong
Category: Heavy Equipment
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 4 years ago.
Good morning, When cranking are you getting any smoke from exhaust? I'm think that you have the old fuel problem and need to do a complete fuel prime till you get fuel to everything. The adjustments should be correct . More times than not , when a diesel wont start after working on the fuel system, it will have air in it and until the air is out, it will not start. Good luck>
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
im getting smoke out of the exhaust i cranked it for a long time and all it does is crank i had it running before the adjustments it was running rough i took it for a test drive and it just died so thats one i started doing the adjustments now it just doesnt run do you think i ruined one of the injectors?
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 4 years ago.
Were the adjustments way off? You didn't put the injectors in without adjusting them did you? If you adjusted them before start up, i doubt you damaged anything. If you just stuck them in and no adjustment, yes you could have damaged them. I still wonder if you don't have air trapped in system.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I did just put them in and started it up damn... im new to diesel engines and the adjustments where off most of the injectors where at an adjustment of 66.46mm some at 67.02mm so i have to get new injectors i guess???? so theres no other adjustment spec to go by for the injector? because when the injectors where at the adjustment 66.46 and 67.02 i could get the engine to run somewhat but it would sputter and shut off

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 4 years ago.
That is a lot of difference! Any time you remove a injector you should always adjust valves and injectors before starting. One thing you might want to try is to back off the injectors to about 66.00 and see if it will start. Sounds like they could have overtraveled and damaged them. Try backing off on the adjustment to see if you get anything. Thanks.
Curtis B., service manager
Experience: 30 years exp. with diesel engines, heavy equipment and forklifts, including lp forklifts
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thank you Curtis ill try that.. You been a big help have a great day!!! If i have any other questions ill be back... Thanks again