DR.Cummins
DR.Cummins, FIELD SERVICE TECHNICIAN
Experience:  16 Years working on Cummins Diesel engines,

i have a cummins n14 stc. engine is white smoking, i have changed

i have a cummins n14 stc. engine is white smoking, i have changed injectors and stv valve with no change. #6cyl is not smoking the rest are #2 has raw fuel coming out. i ran a compression and got #1 320, #2 330, #3 330, #4 360, #5 340, #6 360 all at 4 strokes. if any body has an ideal i would like to know THANK YOU
Category: Heavy Equipment
Expert:  DR.Cummins replied 4 years ago.
Hello I'm Eric and i can help you. First i have to ask some questions, Did you set the valves and injectors correctly, (i can provide the sequence), Can you hear the STC valve shifting, is all the air OUT of the stc oil supply line to the injectors? Did you notice any coolant entering the cylinder when you removed the injectors from the cups in the head? does it still smoke at operating temp?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
yes valves & inj are set correct, no coolant in cyl, air is out of oil lines. still smokes at operating temp
Ok What color were the o rings on the injectors? Did you replace these parts with recon parts? How is your oil pressure, you need min 15 psi out of the stc valve. can you hear it shift? It's also possible that the injector you put in #2 is bad i'd try swapping injectors first to a different hole IE 2 to 5 and see if the raw fuel is still present. Have you tried running the engine off a separate fuel source straight to the pump?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
oring are orange, yes they are recon,oil pressure is 25, i have not heard the stv valve shift i have not swaped inj. because #2 did it with old and new inj. i have not ran separate fuel line yet
I see well i know what your problem is with #2 you'll have to verify, if it was dumping then and still dumping now than your camshaft is bad,at the number 2 cylinder, to check this you will have to remove push tubes for number 2 and use a magnet to lift up the cam follower and check the rollers and lobes to see damage, it's a PIA but can be done Use a strong magnet
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
i thank you for your answer i will check cam
Your welcome i will be to help further.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Dr cummins i checked cam lobes with dial indicater compared 2&6 cam is not bad

Well cummins doesn't really approve that method, Visual check is the only in chassis check,Any You checked both valves and injector lobes for number 2? By removing tubes you'll also see if your push tubes are slightly bent, This is why cummins recommends a visual check. I can make a bad cam have the same reading as as a good cam with the adjustment.

Do you have your engine serial number handy?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
i have all push tubes out nun bent how can you bad cam to lift as good as a new one i looked at the roller on the cam follower seen no problem 11626006 and cpl 1380

the roller is harder than the cam, the lobes on the cam are also good? Dis you rotate ALL THE WAY AROUND I see in 1999 Cummins changed there camshaft and followers to a more durable design,The injector lobes on the new camshaft and the injector follower rollers in the new camshaft follower assemblies have a nonmicrofinished surface finish. Nonmicrofinished injector cam lobes and cam follower rollers have proven to be more durable than microfinished lobes and rollers on N14 STC engines There is not much more, We have covered all possibilities for this cylinder to be dumping twice in the same hole, Good compression,no bent tubes, inj set to 125 inch lbs, intake 0.014 exhaust 0.027, good oil pressure out stc valve, no coolant leaking into cylinder, Cam seems to be ok any thing else that i should know

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
i have not used 125 inch lbs method i use the stc tappet tool(NNN) NNN-NNNNto set inj.

Use a dial type torque wrench to tighten the injector rocker lever adjusting screw to the specified torque. If the screw causes chattering during setting, repair the screw and lever as required.

Hold the torque wrench in a position that allows the direct view of the dial. This is to make certain that the reading on the dial is accurate.

Torque Value: 14 n.m[125 in-lb]
STC Engine Outer Base Circle (OBC)
Injector and Valve Adjustment Sequence
Bar Engine in Direction of RotationPulley PositionSet Cylinder
InjectorValve
StartB55
Advance toC33
Advance toA66
Advance toB22
Advance toC44
Advance toA11
DR.Cummins, FIELD SERVICE TECHNICIAN
Experience: 16 Years working on Cummins Diesel engines,
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
that is not the method my n14 cummins book shows
It's in the book also cummins has revised it by CPL do you have a fax number i can send you the info .

Edited by DR.Cummins on 1/28/2010 at 3:06 AM EST
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
my fax XXX-XXX-XXXX thank you
can you take the dashes out or PM me it's all XXXXXXXXXX
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
XXXXXXXXXX

still nothing Please email me at ekpodlas at verizon . net