Wayne, Journeyman
Experience:  34 years experiance as engine rebuild and problems.Thermo-King repair and trouble shooting.

A 60 series detroit engine, I..lost power..fuel tank..fuel injectors

Customer Question

I have a 60 series detroit engine, I drive truck lost power, fuel was black and fuel tank was very hot, Now truck wont start at all, Do you think its my fuel injectors?
Category: Heavy Equipment
Expert:  Wayne replied 4 years ago.
Hi I'm Wayne,
I will try to help you with this,
Is your oil level dropping??
Was the fuel clear in the beginning ??

Get back to me.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Oil level stays the same did not drop, We just bought truck and checked if there was any fuel in the oil filters to see if fuel was moving threw , fuel is circulating and that is how we found out it was black. my husband ask if u think its the fuel injectors.
Expert:  Wayne replied 4 years ago.
HiCustomer

No it's not the injectors, I thing your previous owner, used, diesel fuel/drain oil mix,

This is not uncommon, not recommended, but is not a unusual practice with big fleet owners/rental company.

As far as hot fuel tanks, they may have that piped into the coolant system, should be a shut off valve, close it 1/2 way, yes the Detroit will not run on Hot fuel.

If this helped you, please hit Accept, if not get back to me.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I just opened the valve cover and behind the back of the cylinder head the wire harnest was grounding out after moving it around the injectors solonoides was clicking on and off and started burning I turned off the key and the two masterswitches and it's still burning. I then quickly unpluged the wire to the computer and it stopped smoking I am now removing the wire to repair wire why is their a constant power to injectors is this normal
Expert:  Wayne replied 4 years ago.
Hi I will opt-out of this one,

I have a good friend and expert who may be able to help you, I will contact him,
Thanks Wayne
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thanks Wayne
Expert:  Wayne replied 4 years ago.
HiCustomer

Good morning Sir,

I was just advised my another expert, on that old of a model, That wire should not be Hot.
Your ECM is probably, burned up/shorted, you will need to replace wire harness and ecm.

Thanks, Wayne
Wayne, Journeyman
Experience: 34 years experiance as engine rebuild and problems.Thermo-King repair and trouble shooting.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Aloha Wayne, Yes your right it is burned we just learned that When the battery goes dead that when trying to start, the computer does not have its own power its wired threw the starter so when trying to start, Starter keeps dragging down voltage from ecm, So yup you guys are right ECM is Burnt. Thank you very much. You have been very helpful.

Aloha Kahea and Gary from Honolulu, Hawaii

Expert:  Wayne replied 4 years ago.
Thank You Gary for the Accept, and your more then welcome,

Could you send some of that sun and heat to chicago ??