Mattco, Mechanic
Experience:  Specializing in Caterpillar and various off road equipment, since 1995.

920 cat rubber tire loader the problem is the trans...crank..shifter

i have a 920 cat rubber tire loader the problem is the trans. it goes in gear fine until u cut it off when u crank it up it will not take gear u can work the shifter from reverse to drive and it will finally engage and works fine until u cut it off again.
Category: Heavy Equipment
Expert:  Mattco replied 6 years ago.
If you start it up in gear, a safety feature in the transmission will not allow it to go into gear until you go to neutral, that safety feature is built into the valve body in the transmission, so, if that feature (valve) fails or sticks, you would have symptoms such as you are having. I would strongly recommend referencing a Caterpillar service manual to guide you to the exact valve in question. If you do not have a manual, I would recommend getting one, the time and money saved will not make you regret it.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
would trans have to be removed to replace or unstick this valve?
Expert:  Mattco replied 6 years ago.
no sir, it would be directly below the seat.