JCTech
JCTech, Diesel Mechanic
Experience:  31 years experience as a Diesel Mechanic, 14 years at Cummins, good with electronic control systems
21428897

Cummins engine..i want valve and injectors adjust table

i have cummins engine l10 cpl 1223 serial #34595317 i want valve and injectors adjust table
Category: Heavy Equipment
Expert:  JCTech replied 4 years ago.

HiCustomer
Your inlet valve clearance is 0.014"
Your exhaust valve clearance is 0.027"
Your injector preload is 5 - 6 inch pounds (use Cummins tool number(NNN) NNN-NNNN.
It pays to highlight the "ABC" marks on the accessory drive pulley before you start.
Bar the engine round in a clockwise direction (viewed from the font of the engine) until the "A" mark on the accessory drive pulley is aligned with the pointer, check which valves are closed and which are "rocking"
If the valves are closed on cylinder 5, you are at the top of the table below, and ready to start, if the valves are closed on cylinder 2, you are half way down the chart, so bar the engine around one more rotation.
Adjust the valves on cylinder number 5 and the injectors on cylinder number 3, torque the locknuts to 35 lbft if ST669 adapter is used or 45 lbft without the adapter

Acc.. drive pulley mark

Adjust Valves

Adjust Injector

A

5

3

B

3

6

C

6

2

A

2

4

B

4

1

C

1

5

Bar the engine to the "B" mark, adjust valves on cylinder 3 and injector on cylinder 6
Proceed through 2 full revolutions of the accessory drive pulley.
If you go past a mark, be careful that you do not loosen the accessory drive pulley retaining nut, also you must go backwards halfway to the preceding letter and come forwards onto the correct letter, or the backlash in the engine affects your camshaft position and thus the accuracy of your adjustment.

Hope this helps

JCTech, Diesel Mechanic
Experience: 31 years experience as a Diesel Mechanic, 14 years at Cummins, good with electronic control systems