Roadside Jerry
Roadside Jerry, Mechanic
Experience:  40 yrs experience,30 years with the NYPD working on all vehicles,cars, trucks etc.
1699649

2000 isuzu: relays..clicking..buzzing..wont work,headlights inop

Customer Question

i'm having a wiring problem,2000 izuzu npr gas motor. relays in top of dash clicking and buzzing.wipers wont work,headlights inop,heater fan inop.i've replaced all relays,checked all fuses,same problem.with key on i'm getting dim light on passenger park light,gets brighter when truck is running.i have power on ground wire on passenger side park light. HELP
Category: Heavy Equipment
Expert:  Roadside Jerry replied 4 years ago.
Hi, if you are getting a dim light and have power on the ground side of the lamp it tells us you have a poor gound. Make up a jumper wire using length of 8 ga. wire with alligator clips on booth ends, connect one end to the battery Negative terminal, and start connecting the other clip to clean bare metal on the body panels. When you connect to the poor ground area the items affected will turn, on and you wont have power on the ground side of the lamp. Once this is done you can start checking all your ground connectioins, or an easier fix, which is called an overlay, is to make up a permanent wire from a know good ground on the engine to the point you found that corrected the problem.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
jerry,thanks,i've have already tried a jumper wire with no avail.
Have you checked for power at the items not working,like the blower,wiper motor, lights.No power, then you have to start checking the feed side of the circuit , If you have power,then you have no ground connection. I would try connecting a fused jumper from the Neg battery terminal to the ground wire of the park lamp with all the other items off, if the lamp turns on normally then you do have a poor ground somewhere.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
thanks,jerry. i have power at all sources,i know it's probably a bad ground,i was hoping to get more detailed info on the npr.i have looked at harness were cab tilts all under dash, removed glove box ,still can't find problem.truck was fine yesterday then went crazy!!!. i have 27 years in car business and looking for more detail thanks,
I am going to send this to the Heavy Equipment section. Possibly one of the experts has wiring dagram for that model. If they do they will post an answer, Good luck.

Edited by Roadside Jerry on 1/8/2010 at 3:24 AM EST