Buddy
Buddy, Technician
Experience:  20 years experience. Freightliner tech for last 14 years
19040450

When did cat start using epoxy on head gaskets to repair oil leaks

when did cat start using epoxy on head gaskets to repair oil leaks
Category: Heavy Equipment
Expert:  Buddy replied 4 years ago.

Hi kenworth1310. Welcome to JA. I am Buddy,and i will try and help you out.

Cat came out with this bulletin back in july . Bulletin is Media Number -TIBU5690-01. This is a cheap way of repairing in my mind. Here is info off of bulletin.

Technical Information Bulletin
Procedure for Repairing the Oil Leak at the Spacer Plate on C15 and C18 Engines{1201, 7555}
Media Number -TIBU5690-01 Publication Date -21/07/2009 Date Updated -21/07/2009
CONFIDENTIAL

i03643214

SMCS - 1201-Z4 ; 7555-Z4
Engine:
C15 (S/N: MXS1-UP; NXS1-UP; BXS1-UP; SDP1-UP)
C18 (S/N: EJG1-UP)
Generator Set:
C18 (S/N: G4C1-UP; STM1-UP)
C18 MARINE GS (S/N: CYN1-UP)
Marine Engine:
C18 (S/N: CKH1-UP; NAX1-UP; NAY1-UP)
C18 MARINE (S/N: C1J1-UP)
Petroleum Engine:
C18 (S/N: MPE1-UP)

Introduction

The problem that is identified below does not have a known solution. Until a permanent solution is known, use the solution that is identified below.

Problem

Oil may leak from the engine at the cylinder block around the spacer plate. The spacer plate is located between the cylinder head and the engine block.

Solution

Table 1
Tools Needed
143-9508 Epoxy Adhesive
143-9509 Nozzle
143-9510 Applicator
222-3124 Cleaner

1. Clean the engine block. Use a cleaner in order to remove any buildup at the joint between the block and the head of the engine. A small wire brush may be needed in order to remove excessive buildup of oil and dirt. Be sure that no oil is left on the surfaces. Use an abrasive pad in order to remove as much paint as possible.

Note: Use a brake cleaner that does not leave an oil residue if the 222-3124 Cleaner is not available.

1. After the surfaces have been thoroughly cleaned, spray a light coat of the cleaner on the surfaces. Allow the surfaces to dry completely. Cut the fourth largest step on the nozzle tip in order to obtain the correct width for the bead. Use a clear vinyl hose that is 63.5 mm (2.5 inch) in length and an inside diameter of 8 mm (0.3 inch). Cut one end of the hose straight. Cut the other end of the hose at a 45 degree angle. Attach the square end to the nozzle. The small tube will slide onto the end of the nozzle. When the epoxy is applied the recommended width of the bead is 8 mm (0.3 inch).
  2. Place the tapered end of the hose flat against the spacer plate to block joint and carefully squeeze the trigger of the applicator. Apply a consistent bead of epoxy on the outside of the joint. Apply a second bead right above the first bead which will cover the joint of the head gasket on the left side only.
    1. Allow the adhesive to dry for at least 30 minutes before starting the engine and running the engine. Make sure that the epoxy has cured before putting the engine in service. The epoxy will be firm to the touch when the epoxy is cured.
    1. Paint the area around the epoxy after the epoxy has dried.

If you have anymore questions, just ask.

Thanks

Buddy

Buddy, Technician
Experience: 20 years experience. Freightliner tech for last 14 years