Chad, Technician
Experience:  17 years experience lead equipment technician and troubleshooter Mining equipment expert

1996 416b cat backhoe 4wd will not work , ,botton on gearshiftd

Customer Question

1996 416b cat backhoe 4wd will not work , ,botton on gearshiftd dont work ,rpm gauge and gas gauge, tem gauge don`t work.all went out at same time.hour metter works.
Category: Heavy Equipment
Expert:  Chad replied 6 years ago.

Hi my name is Chad.

I am going to try to help you with this but I will need you to get your serial number from your machine for me, so I can look at your exact machines service manual.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

sn#8zk08695 backhoe loader.replaced 3 out 4 relay swicth part#3e9362 neutral bottom does not work.4wd does not work.engine coolant gauge,transmission/converter oil gauge,voltmeter gauge,diesel fuel level gauge,tachometer does not work.service hour meter does work.when you move the front powerd drive wheels 4-wd switch or push the neutral bottom the gauges will move a little. all went out at the same time

Expert:  Chad replied 6 years ago.

Ok first thing, did you check the fuses? There are 2 fuses that tie all the gauges together and the neutralizer and front drive together.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
all fuses are good
Expert:  Chad replied 6 years ago.
Do you have a test light or meter to check if you have 12 volts at those fuses? Does the horn work (gets power from the same sorce at the front drive and gauges)?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
no the horn does not work
Expert:  Chad replied 6 years ago.

OK now we are getting somewhere.

We need to check if your getting power from the main relay. Below is the Cat diagram that shows its location....

It would be where I have circled (LOCATION C)

Here are the wires going to it...

OK here what I need you to do. The wires are numbers so it makes them easy to find.

With the key ON, and back probing the relay connector, do you have power on wire # XXXXX? (yellow wire) Also does wire # XXXXX (black) have a good ground? If the answer to both of those is yes, then do you have power on wire # XXXXX? (orange) If not let me know but if you do check to see if you have power on wire # XXXXX (purple)

If you have power on 308 and 109, your ground on 200 is good but no power on 112, the relay is bad. If you have power an all of them, we will have to do more digging.