Buddy
Buddy, Technician
Experience:  20 years experience. Freightliner tech for last 14 years
19040450

How to remove water pump from 2005 C15 Caterpillar engine.

Category: Heavy Equipment
Expert:  Buddy replied 4 years ago.

HiCustomer Welcome to JA. I am Buddy, and i will try and help you out.

This can be a tough water pump to replace if you dont have much mechanic abilities.An expereinced tech will take around 5 to 6 hours to replace water pump.First you would need to remove turbo piping hooked to the cgi cooler . Then remove the diverter valve and the cgi cooler. Then remove the mounting bracket for the cgi cooler. On most applications you will have to remove the altenator and bracket. Then remove the back section off of water pump. The water pump mounting bolts will be thru the front cover, there is around 5 or 6 of them. Then you should be able to pry the water pump out. Another thing i like to do is also replace both of the blue hoses that are attached to water pump, they almost always leak once you get engine back together. I hope this helps you out, if you have anymore questions or info just ask. If you reply please include engine serial number also.

Thanks

Buddy

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX already got down to the cooler and was not sure if it had to come off. None of our other trucks have it on them and I was hoping to not have to take it off.

Serial # XXXXX

Expert:  Buddy replied 4 years ago.

Thanks for the reply. It is not bad as it looks. Once you get the cooler off, it is just like the older style ones after that. I do also loosen or sometimes remove the intake side of turbo to aid in removal of cooler. I would also replace those 2 blue hoses because if one leaks after reassembly, it is pretty tough to get to them then. If you have anymore questions, just ask.

Thanks

Buddy

Buddy, Technician
Experience: 20 years experience. Freightliner tech for last 14 years