Jeff
Jeff, Mechanic
Experience:  8 year forklift mechanic on all brands hydraulic hose cylinder repair parts source lpg knowledge

i have a cat v80d forklift. the tranny fluid shoots out of

i have a cat v80d forklift. the tranny fluid shoots out of the spout and will not move. what is the problem?
Category: Heavy Equipment
Expert:  Jeff replied 4 years ago.
Hello, can you provide forklift serial number please. Thanks
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

1) the valve that controls the clutch will not stay on the pedal attachment, but it has been like that since i bought it over a year ago and it still ran well and there was never a grinding noise engaging forward or backwards (i dont know if this means anything)

2)after i try to move forward or backwards and i shut the machine down, there is a gurgging from the dipstick for the tranny, then fluid sprays out

3)it will not move forward or backwards

Expert:  Jeff replied 4 years ago.
The valve that you speak of that controls the clutch is your inching spool,it acts like a clutch but what it is supposed to do is dump the transmission pressure when you apply the brake pedal while in gear. This allows you to run up engine to use hydraulics while in forward or reverse without having to shift into neutral. The spool that the linkage controls could have got bumped into the dump position witch wont allow forklift to move in either direction, so i would check that. Most of the time when oil shoots out the dipstick like you explained on the transmission it is because the breather gets plugged on top of the transimission witch in turn forces the built up pressure out the dipstick along with oil becasue the end of the tube is in the sump. When you shut the unit off this compounds the issue because oil drains from the torque converter into the sump as well. After you clean the breather check the oil while running and see if you are low on fluid, this could also be your forward reverse issue as the sump is fairly small on the v80d. Hope this helps, let me know if you need more info may need serial number to be more specific, thanks.
Jeff, Mechanic
Experience: 8 year forklift mechanic on all brands hydraulic hose cylinder repair parts source lpg knowledge