KevinB
KevinB, Technician
Experience:  Cat Field Tech for 6 years, John Deere Field Tech For 5 years
12559414

I am trying to rebuild an 8 piston hydraulic pump..john deere..housing

I am trying to rebuild an 8 piston hydraulic pump for a john deere 1020. I have removed the cover, pistons, and shaft. I am unable, and not sure how to get the shaft seal out of the pump housing. it appears that there is an inner bore that the shaft bushing seats into that should be removable. i have managed to pull the bushing with a blind bearing puller. How do I get to the shaft seal to replace it and the quad ring.
Category: Heavy Equipment
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Relist: No answer yet.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Relist: No answer yet.
Expert:  KevinB replied 4 years ago.
I don't deal with the AG side of John Deere but if you list the pump part number I may be able to get a break down if it came on a construction machine. Thanks Kevin
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

The hydraulic pump o.e.m. # XXXXX XXXXX and is used on some of the construction models as well.

Thank you

Expert:  KevinB replied 4 years ago.
Is your shaft seal an ar39052?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Yes it is an AR39052
Expert:  KevinB replied 4 years ago.
According to my info you just remove it from the input side. Do you have a slide hammer seal remover?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
If the input side is the pump crankcase interior side, yes I have tried that with a slide hammer puller with expanding collet. I was able to remove the bushing (bearing on some models), but there seems to be an inner housing in the way. the seal ring is larger than the shaft hole, so it seems that the inner housing must be pulled as well. i have attempted this without success. is a slide hammer with expanding collets the correct tool?
Expert:  KevinB replied 4 years ago.
My info does not go into detail in the removal of the seal it simply say remove seal( Trust me I've been bitten by Deere on issues where you fight something because they don't expain it well) The seal is being removed from the exterior side of housing. If your looking at the front of the pump What I use on these items is a seal puller adapter you drill a hole in the seal then screw it into the seal and pull it out some times it takes a few tries around the seal to loosen it up. You can make a similiar tool by making an adapter to screw on you slide hammer that will hold a sheet metal screw or self tapping screw.
KevinB, Technician
Experience: Cat Field Tech for 6 years, John Deere Field Tech For 5 years