catmastertech
catmastertech, Technician
Experience:  19 years Cat, 3 years Case

A Case 1150B dozer that will not move forward..stopped moving..reverse

Case 1150B Dozer Question
I have a Case 1150B dozer that will not move forward. When I was using it it began to act as if the brake was on and then stopped moving forward. It goes in reverse in all three ranges with no problem. When I put it in forward it slows the RPMs on the dozer and will not move. I have reversed the forward and reverse clutch hoses to eliminate a possible problem with the transmission control valves and it will operate in reverse now when I shift into forward thus no problem with that part. I'am not a mechanic but have the service manual and would like an idea on where to start. It appears to me the Modulator Valve has a lot to do with the hydraulic brakes any thoughts? Thanks Brad
Category: Heavy Equipment
Expert:  catmastertech replied 4 years ago.

It has been a long time since I worked with Case. I did some transmission work but, not allot. The first place I would check is the filters. Do they have debris in them? Can you check the clutch pressures?

The only odd thing that might be happening is if it was locking three clutches at the same time. Does machine stay still in neutral? If it does the forward clutch could be damaged.

Let me know if I can help answer any questions will the test results.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I haven't checked the filters however the machine runs fine in reverse so the hydraulic fluid is circulating. I also placed the forward hoses on the reverse clutch intake and it worked in reverse so I know fluid is going to the forward cluch. The machine shifts into nuetral with no problem and the low and high speed clutch work fine in reverse. There are two forward clutchs one for each track and I wouldn't think both forward clutchs would go out at the same time. I don't have any equipment to test the clutch pressure.

Your right, I was think about the 850, it has a single clutch.

If I remember correctly, the brake housings are on the front of the transmission. Do these seem to be getting hot? I remember the parking brake linkage would stick on some and in forward this could drag the transmission to a stop.

Inspect the park brake lock and linkage. Spray all the levers on top to free-up the pivots points. This was more common on the 850 so, I am guessing here.

The filters will be a good start to find out if you have damage. Cut them open and lay them out to do a detailed inspection. Save some oil in a clear container and look at it through a light.

Let me know if I can help you any, I will be glad to try.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
The parking brake isn't hooked up but I checked the brake levers and they move freely and they have never got hot that I know of. I was hoping that was the problem but I don't think it is. What would I be looking for in the filters, metal shavings?

Yes metal shavings, brass colored shavings and fiber from the clutches. If it is old, it may have bronze clutch disc. I only have seen the paper fiber discs. Most of it will be very fine, about the size of sand. Pass a magnet over it to see how much iron is in it. The more iron the more likely to have carrier or housings damaged. This would mean an expensive repair. Any large parts would be broken damage, like clutch housing.

When you said reverse is fine, have you traveled more than one turn of the track? Just want to be sure the rails aren't seized.

This transmission need to be laid on it end to have to bearing setups and that means it will have to be removed from the frame. That is a huge job if the bolts are seized. Cutting the bolts can be very difficult.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I have been using it clearing timber and drove it about a 1/2 mile in reverse to my house after it broke. The dozer operates normally in reverse, the brakes work as they should on the tracks and I can turn in circles as long as I am in reverse. When the dozer stopped working it felt as if the brakes were on and I was not pushing a large load. I backed up pushed again and then it stopped going forward.I believe something is causing a breaking action on the forward clutch(s). I don't know if it is possible something in the parking brake has broken in the transmission housing and has locked it up or if one of the hydraulic valves is not working propery. My case dealer doesn't seem to know what to think and I was hoping someone may have had a similiar experience. I would like to have an idea before I start a major project or expense.
If you need parts break down go to www.casece.com , they have online parts catalogs. Not the best but, very helpful. I am concerned about the breaks too. I would check the filters anyway, it is cheap troubleshooting.
catmastertech, Technician
Experience: 19 years Cat, 3 years Case