catmastertech
catmastertech, Technician
Experience:  19 years Cat, 3 years Case
11546476

what are the overhead settings on a CAT c15 acert intake,

what are the overhead settings on a CAT c15 acert? intake, valves injectors, variable vale actuators?
Category: Heavy Equipment
Expert:  catmastertech replied 4 years ago.
Valve Lash
Valves Acceptable Range for Valve Lash
Inlet
0.38 ± 0.08 mm (0.015 ± 0.003 inch)
Exhaust
0.76 ± .08 mm (0.030 ± 0.003 inch)

The following procedure should be followed when variable valve actuators (20 have been removed from the engine.
graphic

Loosen jam nut (1) .

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NOTICE
Do not turn the cylinders clockwise. If you turn the cylinders clockwise, the piston assembly will fall out of the housing. If the piston assembly falls out of the housing, damage to the piston will occur.

Turn the cylinders (2) counterclockwise until the cylinders reach the stop.
Note: Do not force the cylinders. Damage will occur to the cylinders.

Install the variable valve actuators onto the cylinder head. Refer to the Specifications manual for the proper torque sequence.

Set cylinder 1 at the top center position. See Testing and Adjusting, "Finding Top Center Position for the No. 1 Piston" for details on this procedure.
Note: The inlet valves should be fully closed. The rocker arm should rest on the base circle of the camshaft lobe.

Set lash (3) on the following cylinders: 1, 2 and 4. Refer to Specifications, "Variable Valve Actuators" for the amount of lash.

Place the feeler gauge between the piston pin and the rocker arm.
Note: The inlet rocker arm must be in contact with valve bridge (4) when you set the lash for variable valve actuators.

Turn the cylinder clockwise until the feeler gauge fits snugly between the piston and the rocker arm.

Tighten jam nut (1). Refer to Specifications, "Variable Valve Actuators" for the proper torque for the jam nut.

Turn the crankshaft clockwise by 360 degrees. This will position the No. 6 piston at the top center on the compression stroke. Install the timing bolt in the flywheel.

Repeat Step 5 for the following cylinders: 3, 5 and 6.

Connect the proper wiring harness to each solenoid.

Electronic Unit Injector - Adjust

Table 1 Required Tools
Part Number Part Name Quantity
9U-7227 Injector Height Gauge 1

Note: Determine the style of variable valve actuator that is installed on the engine. For the BXS engines, remove the variable valve actuators. For the MXS engines, it is not necessary to remove the variable valve actuators.

graphic

Injector Mechanism

(1) Rocker arm

(2) Adjustment screw

(3) Locknut

(4) 9U-7227 Injector Height Gauge

To make an adjustment to the unit injectors on cylinders 3, 5, and 6 use the following procedure:

Put the No. 1 piston at the top center position on the compression stroke. Refer to Testing and Adjusting, "Finding Top Center Position for No. 1 Piston".

Injector height gauge (4) is used in order to obtain a dimension of 78.0 ± 0.2 mm (3.07 ± 0.01 inch). The dimension is measured from the top of the unit injector to the machined ledge of the fuel injector body.

Turn unit injector adjustment screw (2) clockwise until the correct height is obtained.

Hold the adjustment screw in this position and tighten locknut (3) to a torque of 100 ± 10 N·m (74 ± 7 lb ft).

To make an adjustment to the unit injectors on cylinders 1, 2, and 4, remove the timing bolt. Turn the flywheel by 360 degrees in the direction of engine rotation. The direction of engine rotation is counterclockwise, as the engine is viewed from the flywheel end. This will put the number 1 piston at the top center position on the exhaust stroke.

Repeat Steps 3 through 4.

Remove the timing bolt from the flywheel after all the unit injector adjustments have been made. Reinstall the valve mechanism cover.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
i know the procedure. I Have the inj. height tool. what i need to know is the lash for the variable valve actuators. the tag on the oil cooler is gone. the engine ser no. is BSX18151
Torque for adjustment locknut ... 50 ± 10 N·m (37 ± 7 lb ft)

Lash for the variable valve actuators ... 0.50 ± 0.08 mm (0.020 ± 0.003 inch)

Note: The inlet rocker arm must be in contact with valve bridge (4) when you set the lash for the variable valve actuators.
catmastertech, Technician
Experience: 19 years Cat, 3 years Case