CaseFace, Mechanic
Experience:  22yrs Auto,Truck,Tractor Trailer,Heavy Equipment, Industrial Truck,Forklift,Motor Coach,Tour Bus

I have a Clarke forklift with a 4 cylinder gas mitubishi industrial

Customer Question

I have a Clarke forklift with a 4 cylinder gas mitubishi industrial engine removed engine to change torque converter, after cleaning engine and reassemble in forklift I can not get any spark have consulted Clarks wiring diagrams still no spark wiring diagrams do not match what i have do not know if coil is bad orignitor in distributor is bad need help to figure this out can not find parts year of forklift approx early 80's
Category: Heavy Equipment
Expert:  CaseFace replied 7 years ago.

I have to remember a little bit back, you have electronic or points and condensor.

Expert:  Wayne replied 7 years ago.
Hi I'm wayne
I will try to help you with this,
Case face has opt out,

ok 1st thing, you can not have the same voltage on coil + and -,, that won't work, this goes back to old school, of engines.

I want you to crank engine over and touch the NEG side of coil with a test light, if engine pops, and /or back fires, you have a ground problem.

get back to me after you do this.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
the coil has two studs one larger than the other they are not marked + or- so I am guessing that the larger one is negative. The distributor has 2 wires one blue and one black with yellow stripe the Clarke diagram says one wire should go back to the ballast resistor the other to the coil The Clarke trouble shooting guide says both wires go to the coil one postive and one negative have tried both
Expert:  Wayne replied 7 years ago.

OK, the dist 2 wires, the blue goes to small terminal on coil, bLK/Yel, goes to ballast resistor, wire on coil to dist, should blink on and off when cranking engine., Had you reversed they wires and hooked a hot lead to it , you may have burned out the module in dist.

Thanks, Wayne
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

There is a wire coming from ballast resistor to the coil it will only fit over the small terminal on the coil therfore the wire going to the dist has to go on thelarger terminal

The wire from ballast resistor was never removed

Expert:  Wayne replied 7 years ago.

Did you crank it over and do the test light like I suggested ?? Light must blink on and off.

Lets do this and see what happens.

get back to me

Edited by wayne on 10/7/2009 at 1:48 PM EST
Expert:  CaseFace replied 7 years ago.
I talked with Wayne and he asked me to speak with you.

The funny thing is with these forklifts is the you can look for spark and not see it.

The ground on them is not a solid contact. Too long to go into or understand but that
is what I know.

The usual way to test for spark doesn't work.

Holding the wire away from a bolt on the motor or sticking a screwdriver in the coil wire
and holding it close to a bolt and waiting fo a spark doesn't work.

Even holding a spark plug close to a bolt or touching it to the engine does not work.

If you are doing that then that may be sending you a false message.

You have voltage at the coil when cranking which is good.

What happens sometimes is that it is actually a fuel problem that is causing the problem.

All you did was pull the motor to change the convertor.

If you have voltage to the coil when cranking then you should be good to go if,
you have fuel and the distributor is good.

What you should do first is take a tank off a running truck and put it on that one, or get a
new one out of the cage, make sure it is turned on all the way and try to start it.

You can also spray carburetor cleaner down the carb and see if it will start.

Try that and let me know what happens.