John, Technician
Experience:  20 years in a John Deere; Ag,Ind,forestry and Bobcat dealership,12 in my own shop
14415333

How do I change the seals on the back wheel on my bobcat M

Customer Question

How do I change the seals on the back wheel on my bobcat M610
Category: Heavy Equipment
Expert:  John replied 5 years ago.
Hi

Kind of a pain, but this is what you need to know. The axle has to come all the way out. underneath and at the back side of the axle is a round cover you can remove with a pipe wrench. you will find a nut that holds the inner timken bearing on the shaft, remove the nut. next remove the big cover that gives you access to the drive chains. There is a big nut, ( I think it takes a 2 inch wrench ) that holds the chain drive sprocket on the axle shaft. sometimes there is a lock tab that you have to bend out of the way, sometimes it never got put back on. as you start to remove the nut the axle will start to come out. you will see that the seal is the last thing on the shaft and then the outer timken bearing. Usually it is easier to get a new bearing than to remove it without wrecking it. Most of the time the shaft will have a deep wear grove where the seal wore on the axle. Bobcat makes a speedy sleeve to repair this. If you cannot come up with the speedy sleeve you need to take the axle to a machine shop and have them repair it.

When you go back together you can get the splines for the drive sprocket started and then straighten the shaft out and push it in as far as possible, then start tightening the big nut, keep the seal as far back on the shaft as possible. then when the seal starts to get close to the housing you can use a pry bar and get it started. Be very careful or you will wreck the new seal. then tighten the big nut a little more and work the seal in a little more and keep this up until it is all the way seated. install the nut underneath and tighten it until the axle is hard to turn then back off a little. it needs to be easy to turn but you do not want any end play on the bearings. there needs to be preload.

Thanks John

If this helps please click accept. if you need more info hit reply
John, Technician
Experience: 20 years in a John Deere; Ag,Ind,forestry and Bobcat dealership,12 in my own shop
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Hi
Thank you for the answer, when i take off the plate the chains are in the way to get to the back nut, do i have to take the chains of or can i work around them?
Expert:  John replied 5 years ago.
Hi

You can usually work around them. I have put a wrench on the nut and then used a big pry bar to turn the axle.

Thanks John