Jeremy
Jeremy, Mechanic
Experience:  3 Yrs Case, Massey Ferguson, & Mahindra exp. 5 Yrs New Holland exp. 4 Yrs. John Deere exp.
20347238

i bought a used 8o1 ford select o speed with a loader and it

i bought a used 8o1 ford select o speed with a loader and it only has some of the gears like
r2 a very slow 1,2,3 and7,8,9 is there some thing that i can adjust or does it have to be removed. jerry
Category: Heavy Equipment
Expert:  Jeremy replied 5 years ago.
Hi, my name is Jeremy. First mistake you made is purchasing a tractor with a select o speed transmission in it. This is the most dagerous transmission ever made and most people will not buy or want one on their lot. Also most people will not even touch a select o speed tractor to work on. Reason is is that these tractors are known to jump into gear and run over people. Since the transmission is the problem what I would recommend if you puchased the unit for a low enough price no more that $1000 and the engine runs good, unit has power steering and it works properly, and the three point and pto work properly, you can find a few places that you can purchased used 6 or 8 speed transmissions that you can swap out and make a good tractor out of. I have seen personally these tractors just jump into gear and take off luckly no one was hurt when I was there. REPLACE TRANSMISSION OR GET RID OF.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
could there be any adjustments that would help? if not where could i get a transmission and what would it cost. this tractor has a heavy duty front end and a very nice loader and power sterring.
Expert:  Jeremy replied 5 years ago.
There are not any adjustments that could be done easily. Most likely there are clutch packs and bands bad. I dont know where you are located but I know there is a very good Ford salvage yard in east Texas by the name of Alexander tractors. They carry alot of rebuilt components, engines, transmissions, and parts. They are found online also at alexanderstractorparts.com, I have gotten alot of used and rebuilt parts from them and there prices are reasonable. I do not know how much a tranny would run but I would check around.
Jeremy, Mechanic
Experience: 3 Yrs Case, Massey Ferguson, & Mahindra exp. 5 Yrs New Holland exp. 4 Yrs. John Deere exp.